• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Play Store Error?

EpicMike

Aug 16, 2012
I used QBKing's method to root my phone. I still have functionality but I can't seem to use Google Play Store anymore. It will open, and when I try to update an app or download an app, it will suddenly close. Not force close, just...close as if it was never open. Any idea what is happening? I've Googled it for almost 3 days now, but I think I'm not using the right search string or something. Is this a known problem, or...something unique to me? :) I have no custom roms or anything on my phone (yet), the only thing I downloaded was Titanian Backup (the free version).

More info to help:

1) I ended service with Sprint (on good terms) last year around August and just paid for the phone outright. So I basically just use it as an Android and wifi device. To make calls, I have another phone through Cricket. It looks like a fake blackberry (okay that probably isn't relevant).

2) After I rooted it, and went somewhere that has wifi (I don't have wifi at my house), Titanium Backup was the LAST thing I could download before Google Play Store started acting like this. I thought that might have something to do with it, so I deleted Titanium Backup. The problem remains.

3) The only things I deleted through Titanium Backup was Amazon MP3, Nascar, Sprint Football, and Sprint TV & Movies. I left Google Play Books, Sprint Zone, and Sprint ID alone cause I wasn't sure if my phone would function without them, based on some Google searches I did.

4) Through mass storage, I downloaded the latest version of Google Play Store I could find, 3.7.15, and installed it.

5) This problem seems to happen only over wifi. If I open it without wifi, it will stay open and just say "No connection".

Okay, cleared the partition after making this post (and after backing up everything). Using McDonalds wifi, and...same problem. I can surf the net just fine, I just can't download or update anything through Google Play Store. And I still get notifications that I have apps that need to be updated, and I can see which apps need to be updated in Play Store, I just, apparently, can't do anything about it.

And yeah this problem seems to have stumped QBKing himself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones