• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google pulls psx and n64 emulators

papermonkey01

Jun 22, 2010
Pluto
Apparently Google has pulled these two (at least) rom emulators from the market citing

"We remove apps from Android Market that violate our policies."

Some have suggested this might be because of the new xperia play, so who knows what involvement Sony might have in this (or Nintendo). Congrats to those who beat the pull

Tipped from android central

PlayStation emulator PSX4Droid pulled from the Android Market | Android Central

N64oid was pulled by the developer itself, it will be re-released when it runs better, to stop people from complaining. It wasn't pulled by Google.

PSX4Droid was THE WORST EMULATOR EVER. It should've been removed for that reason alone. You can find FPse in the market, it's a Playstation emulator that actually runs great. PSX4Droid was made by a lazy developer, who abandoned the project when FPse came along, he was defeated.

Try it:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.emulator.fpse&feature=search_result

Kudos to Google for pulling that awful app.

Upvote 0
Apparently Google has pulled these two (at least) rom emulators from the market citing

"We remove apps from Android Market that violate our policies."

Some have suggested this might be because of the new xperia play, so who knows what involvement Sony might have in this (or Nintendo). Congrats to those who beat the pull

Tipped from android central

PlayStation emulator PSX4Droid pulled from the Android Market | Android Central

While They did pull PSX4Droid down, Yongzh pulled N64oid down. I talked to Yongzh when I noticed it was down, and that is how I know that Google didn't pull that one down.

Keep in mind, Zodtdd has only blamed the Xperia Play for being pulled down from the market. But if that were the case, than fPSe would have been pulled as well. However, it could have been from a series of complaints by several Market users that were unhappy with the quality of PSX4droid v2, as the developer does not update it as much as it needs to be done.

Upvote 0
While They did pull PSX4Droid down, Yongzh pulled N64oid down. I talked to Yongzh when I noticed it was down, and that is how I know that Google didn't pull that one down.

Keep in mind, Zodtdd has only blamed the Xperia Play for being pulled down from the market. But if that were the case, than fPSe would have been pulled as well. However, it could have been from a series of complaints by several Market users that were unhappy with the quality of PSX4droid v2, as the developer does not update it as much as it needs to be done.

Lol I wouldn't be surprised if Zodtdd just pulled it himself, because he knew he was defeated. Then to save his "image" he said Google did it.

Upvote 0
Did these emulators include copyrighted BIOS roms from the consoles concerned? Maybe this is why they got pulled?

No, you have to download the bios by yourself for the PSX4droid. and as stated before. ONLY PSX4DROID was pulled by GOOGLE. N64oid was pulled by Yongzh, the developer, because people wanted a perfect product the first day, and didn't want it to be able to grow in our hands.

Upvote 0
Well that and Goldeneyes and Ocarina of Time but yea you're right LOL

EDIT: Oh yea and Starfox 64

He is still working on it and will re-release it when it is more ready for primetime. He would have left it up while it was a work in progress but too many people were giving it low ratings and it would not be able to recover. When he puts it back out you will not need to pay for it again.

As to the PSX4Droid. I would guess it was the dev that pulled it not google, remember he is the same dev that charged for the update from v1 to v2, he may release another that does not work either as v3 just to get more money. If google pulled it they would have pulled FPSE as well and it wasn't https://market.android.com/details?id=com.emulator.fpse still available

Upvote 0
I figured the N64 emulator was crap as soon as I realized that Mario 64 was the only game that played somewhat decent.

What a ripoff, I want my money back

You can't expect apps to work perfectly right away. Yongzh knew people wanted a nintendo 64 emulator, so he gave them one. It had some bugs, but it plays decently on my Galaxy Tab, and my Droid X. I know of 3 or 4 games that work good enough for me. And that is definitely worth $6.00.

Upvote 0
You can't expect apps to work perfectly right away. Yongzh knew people wanted a nintendo 64 emulator, so he gave them one. It had some bugs, but it plays decently on my Galaxy Tab, and my Droid X. I know of 3 or 4 games that work good enough for me. And that is definitely worth $6.00.

Aside from Mario 64, what others did you find?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones