• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice and Wave Invites and Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problems here.

You don't have to change your phone number.

You can pick to either have the features with your original phone number or have google voice assign you a NEW google voice number.

If you choose that option like I did, you keep your number and get an extra number free.

You can manage your contacts better, give them your google voice number, and depending on what group you put them in google will re route your google number to your cell phone, work phone or home phone.

Its convenient. You get block numbers easier with google voice number as well as listen in on voicemails being left and screening unknown calls.

You can SMS with your google voice number as well.

Voicemails can be sent to any phone you want, listened to from the internet and even transcribed into a text that you can read.

Thanks this is the type of information I was looking for. Someone told me you get to sorta pick your Google Voice number. Is this correct? So you can only get the SMS function if you choose to get a GV number right? I assume I could get rid of my text messaging plan if that is the case? Is it unlimited?

So if you get a Google number, which number do you give to folks? Your new Google Voice number or your regular number? How do you differentiate between the two?

Do text messages sent to your contacts show up in there phone as your GV number, or your regular cell number?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks this is the type of information I was looking for. Someone told me you get to sorta pick your Google Voice number. Is this correct? So you can only get the SMS function if you choose to get a GV number right? I assume I could get rid of my text messaging plan if that is the case? Is it unlimited?

So if you get a Google number, which number do you give to folks? Your new Google Voice number or your regular number? How do you differentiate between the two?

Do text messages sent to your contacts show up in there phone as your GV number, or your regular cell number?

Thanks!

1.Yes you can pick your number. Just enter in any zip code and will pull up a list of numbers with that area code you can choose from.

2.I don't know about the options if you chose not to get GVN (google voice number) as i chose to get it, and you can only choose once and it can't be changed so choose wisely.

3. SMS is free.

4. You give out your GVN. Right now I only have my cell phone set up to GVN. If someone calls my GVN it rings to my cell and I can answer. If their not in contacts and it's first time they call, they will have to record name, and then when you answer you have options...

1. answer
2. send straight to voice mail
3. send straight to voice mail and listen in while they talk
i think theres one more

5. With google voice app, theres an option where you can always use google voice when placing a call from cell phone, never using or always asking.

I have it set as always ask so whenever i send a text message or place a call it asks which number i want to show up.

Nice feature. I can send text message from my phone with GVN or regualar number and same with phone. So you can pick which number shows up to your friends.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
Just a heads up I was able to get a google voice account without an invite... I downloaded the app and used my Gmail account and it created me an account. Should work for those that have gmail also. Worth a try, good luck.

Have you finished setting it up?

I downloaded app before setting it up and halfway through it wont verify your phone.

You have to set up account online before you try it on phone.

Upvote 0
This google voice application is just what I was looking for. My daughter is getting her first cell phone (for her birthday next week) and I'd like to have her use a Google Voice number from the start. This way we (or she) can change carriers at will without being beholden to any particular phone company or have to bother with porting numbers which can take days to weeks. If anyone has an invite that I could use for this purpose, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate the help as it doesn't look like I'll get the invite from Google before her birthday.

Please send the invite to: irishgirlpaige at-gmail-dot.com or PM me

Thanks,

IrishBrewer

Upvote 0
1.Yes you can pick your number. Just enter in any zip code and will pull up a list of numbers with that area code you can choose from.

2.I don't know about the options if you chose not to get GVN (google voice number) as i chose to get it, and you can only choose once and it can't be changed so choose wisely.

3. SMS is free.

4. You give out your GVN. Right now I only have my cell phone set up to GVN. If someone calls my GVN it rings to my cell and I can answer. If their not in contacts and it's first time they call, they will have to record name, and then when you answer you have options...

1. answer
2. send straight to voice mail
3. send straight to voice mail and listen in while they talk
i think theres one more

5. With google voice app, theres an option where you can always use google voice when placing a call from cell phone, never using or always asking.

I have it set as always ask so whenever i send a text message or place a call it asks which number i want to show up.

Nice feature. I can send text message from my phone with GVN or regualar number and same with phone. So you can pick which number shows up to your friends.

Thanks so much for all this info! You rock!

Upvote 0
I don't think it shows up for new members. I'm not sure how long it takes to show up...

Yeah, I've been using it since it was GrandCentral (circa 2007) and I've only gotten 3 invites. Also, it's great if you sell things on Craigslist since you don't have to give people your real number and you can easily block people (haven't had to yet).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones