• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google voice contact message question

golfinglenn

Apr 30, 2010
I have my GV set up and tried to record some personal greetings for different contacts (so for dad I had:Hi pop, can't take your call so leave a message), but when I call from his phone (either my cell number or GV number he gets the standard message.

Any ideas?

To record a custom voicemail greeting for a specific contact:

Click Contacts on the left side of the page.

Search for the contact you wish to customize and select the box next to the contact in question.

Click the Edit Google Voice Settings link.

Click the Record New link under the 'When this contact goes to voicemail' section.

Enter the name for the greeting you're going to record.

A Record Greeting box appears. Select the phone you want to call to record the greeting, from the Phone to ring drop-down menu.

Click Connect to ring your selected phone.

Pick up the call and record your voicemail greeting when prompted to do so.

Once you've recorded your voicemail greeting, make sure the voicemail greeting you want to play is selected in the drop-down under 'When this contact goes to voicemail' section for the specific contact.

Click Save.

Upvote 0
Doesn't work for me. Every time I do this for either an individual or a group, those selected end up getting the "system standard". The only way I can void system standard or the worse "______ is not available" is to make one custom for ALL and leave the personalized greetings alone.

I followed all your steps, but still no luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones