1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Voice SMS data or txt?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aquastorm, Nov 15, 2009.

1. aquastorm

aquastorm Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Does anyone know if sending/receiving SMS via the Google Voice app uses your txt messages on Verizon or does it use your data plan? This is only when sending SMS through Google Voice app using your Google Voice number....

Advertisement

2. Howie

Howie Android Expert
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    IT
    Central NY
    The short answer is both. If you send it via the website or inside the Google Voice app it would be data, but when it sends an SMS back to your phone that would use your texting bundle. You can tell it (on the website) "SMS Forwarding
    Forward SMS messages to my email" and that will allow you to not use your carriers SMS feature from what I understand. Someone correct me if wrong

3. yehgermeister

yehgermeister Lurker
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    ^can anyone else confirm?

4. craighwk

craighwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    IT Manager
    Denver, CO
    I am pretty sure the previous poster is right. I am still on my iPhone, and when I send an SMS message, I have to use the website since there's no App For That yet. When I get a reply, Google Voice delivers it via incoming SMS, so yes, it would count as an SMS message.

I can't see how it would be any different even with an App, or with the Droid.

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Android Expert
    None

Oct 20, 2008
    I use the app SMS package without forwarding. So I send and receive using only the app. It doesn't use SMS because it's transferred via data.

6. foobah

foobah Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2009
    Here's a variation: So far I know of no app I can use on my Android phone to let me send SMS showing my Google Voice number when I have no data plan (and no WiFi). However, if I have set up Google Voice to forward incoming SMS to my handset and I receive one, if I respond with text the original sender will receive the text from me showing my Google Voice number as the source. Whew!:mad:

Naturally, if I have an Android phone even with no active data plan but with live WiFi and I initiate an SMS it will show my Google Voice number as the source, depending on my settings...:cool:

7. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    How is that a variation? It's exactly what someone posted above: GV uses data. SMS forwarding counts as text.