• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice SMS data or txt?

The short answer is both. If you send it via the website or inside the Google Voice app it would be data, but when it sends an SMS back to your phone that would use your texting bundle. You can tell it (on the website) "SMS Forwarding
Forward SMS messages to my email" and that will allow you to not use your carriers SMS feature from what I understand. Someone correct me if wrong

Upvote 0
^can anyone else confirm?

I am pretty sure the previous poster is right. I am still on my iPhone, and when I send an SMS message, I have to use the website since there's no App For That yet. When I get a reply, Google Voice delivers it via incoming SMS, so yes, it would count as an SMS message.

I can't see how it would be any different even with an App, or with the Droid.

Upvote 0
Here's a variation: So far I know of no app I can use on my Android phone to let me send SMS showing my Google Voice number when I have no data plan (and no WiFi). However, if I have set up Google Voice to forward incoming SMS to my handset and I receive one, if I respond with text the original sender will receive the text from me showing my Google Voice number as the source. Whew!:mad:

Naturally, if I have an Android phone even with no active data plan but with live WiFi and I initiate an SMS it will show my Google Voice number as the source, depending on my settings...:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones