• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Wallet Now Available through the Market

I went to the market to make sure it was showing up, and it did show up as an update to the mod, (gave two options "open" and "update" so I daringly chose "update"), so I updated and have had no issues (secure element issues specifically) yet, YMMV. I'll try it today at lunch to verify...

I just did the same thing, (updated from the non-root apk on xda) It seems to have kept my CC card link, i haven't had a chance to test yet thought...

Upvote 0
I'm using a GN on verizon and it says it is not compatible. Any help?? Not rooted either

Check out the link that Trophy provided, and read the instructions carefully. Its a little tricky. But basically boils down to this:

Open Browser and go to android market (when given the choice of browser or market app, choose browser.

Search for wallet, and click on the icon (not the install button underneath). (again, choose browser if it prompts)

click on Install on that page, and it will make you sign in to your google account.

Once you are signed in, you will see its not compatible to install. NOw press back on your browser, and you should get a prompt for browser or market app again. This time, choose market app. it will open the market and let you click install. (I had a message that said it wasn't compatible with my carrier at the top of the screen, but it still installed and works fine).

Upvote 0
Just as a follow-up, it just failed twice on me at lunch today. I get "the last transaction may not have completed, please ask the cashier if it has." or something similar. This was at a McDonald's, same place as before (although a different register). This is the second time using it since the market upgrade, and it worked once before so I do not think it is an issue with the app now. I'll try it again tomorrow I guess. Anyone else have issues after using the official Market version?

Upvote 0
I get that too on occasion (both with side loaded and market), its more the reader didn't fully complete the transfer than anything with the app. Just try it again until it works.
Thanks! I hadn't ran into that yet so it had me a tiny bit worried. I only tried it twice while standing there (I didn't want to hold up the line too much for what is -sadly- still largely a gimmick) so that could be it. Plus the cashier was more of leaning over the counter to see what exactly I was doing, so there may have been a prompt she was missing or something.

The good news is that it ooooo'ed and aaaahhh'ed about ten people in line there, and totally humbled this arrogant guy who is always in there with his iPad trying to make everyone feel inferior for not having one. I'd always tried being fairly discreet with it before, but I think Wallet needs to be shown off a bit after seeing people react today...

Upvote 0
Thanks! I hadn't ran into that yet so it had me a tiny bit worried. I only tried it twice while standing there (I didn't want to hold up the line too much for what is -sadly- still largely a gimmick) so that could be it. Plus the cashier was more of leaning over the counter to see what exactly I was doing, so there may have been a prompt she was missing or something.

The good news is that it ooooo'ed and aaaahhh'ed about ten people in line there, and totally humbled this arrogant guy who is always in there with his iPad trying to make everyone feel inferior for not having one. I'd always tried being fairly discreet with it before, but I think Wallet needs to be shown off a bit after seeing people react today...

I haven't had anyone approach me while I am doing it at the vending machine yet, although the times it has come up in conversation, it has definitely piqued their interest.

Upvote 0
I haven't had anyone approach me while I am doing it at the vending machine yet, although the times it has come up in conversation, it has definitely piqued their interest.
I've used it at:

• OfficeMax
  • Radio Shack
  • Sheetz (gas station)
  • McDonald's
I've had like one or two comments, but nothing like today's little unintended public outreach session. In fact one time at Sheetz I was buying gas and a guy came over, but he just wanted to point out the "no cell phones" sign, so I told him I was testing something and he left me alone...

Upvote 0
Made my first purchase over the weekend (whole foods). The first try it didn't work --- I think it wasn't running in the background or something. The second try (after opening wallet and unlocking it), it didn't at first want to go through --- it kinda froze a bit during entering the pin and wigged out a bit --- but it did work after a bit of finagling. I figure I just have to get used to the process and all the sensitivities of the app, but it's pretty cool!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones