• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS After Update - Same or Better?

After updating to the UCJH7 firmware, has GPS on your Captivate improved?

• Yes, I noticed an improvement that persists even after 3 days

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • No improvement after 3 days

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • After 3 days, GPS is even worse

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Update fails and won't install for me.

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters

Cuerbo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
Before you post, please make sure your tests do not involve assisted GPS. By this I mean, you have the "Use Wireless Networks" checked under location and security settings. Doing so invalidates a true GPS check. Also, when using Google Maps, are you seeing a steady satellite icon or a flashing one.

using gps test my phone was able to find 2, then 4, then 8 satellites in about 30 seconds, then lock onto 4 of them in about another 30 seconds. signal strengths did fluctuate, but remained locked and gave me an accuracy reading of 16 feet.

firing up google maps, i got a gps lock in under a minute, with a slight location correction in another 30 seconds (the triangle jumped to be more accurate to where i was) and i could tell it was slightly off...16-25 feet maybe? but i walked around my block and the gps stayed locked and oriented correctly the entire time. moving indoors caused the gps lock to fall off. welcome to the wonderful world of working gps - it's been a long time coming.

Upvote 0
Installed Update.
Placed phone on windowsil inside building.
Running GPS Test, Finds 6 sats indoors near a window after 45 seconds, 8 after that.
It didn't lock until about 3 mins later.
Accuracy after 6 mins was 32.8ft

Coworker has an Epic, We had the phones side by side, saw the same sats, similar snr, but his locked, where mine wouldn't.

Also The #*#*1472365*#*# no longer works.

Upvote 0
I have a completely stock captivate. No lag fix, no root. Installed the update this morning. Can't get lock without "use wireless networks box checked." With box checked I get lock pretty close to location within seconds. When I try and use turn by turn feature GPS is unable to find my location. The turn by turn is very frustrating as when I had my Incredible it locked on and worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
I used custom ROM from XDA called Cognition, which is pretty much latest update + Vibrant GPS fix, root, sideloading, voodoo lag fix, etc. GPS locks like a charm but Navigaton part sucks as it still loses signal once in a while. Its a hardware issue - don't expect a fix for it. People will buy this phone regardless and as long as people buy the phone - Samsung and AT&T could care less what issues it has. It could be a non-working brick, but if it sells - who cares? You're nobody to those people.

Upvote 0
Mine works great. I tested and compared it against my Garmin that I use when hiking, it's a known quantity and very accurate. I posted the details of my update experience in the success poll here.

It's wonderful to have a fully functional Captivate at last.

Now I'll be selling my Droid X, since this Captivate fits my needs perfectly... :)

Upvote 0
I never used aGPS, just satellites. Before the update, I guess I was one of the lucky ones, I had no GPS issues, I was very pleased with it's performance. I would get a lock in 10 to 12 seconds. AFTER the update, I get locks even faster "5 to 7 seconds"! Just tried it out on an 18 mile ride home and Google Navigation worked flawlessly. I'm very happy with this update.

Upvote 0
I have a completely stock captivate. No lag fix, no root. Installed the update this morning. Can't get lock without "use wireless networks box checked." With box checked I get lock pretty close to location within seconds. When I try and use turn by turn feature GPS is unable to find my location. The turn by turn is very frustrating as when I had my Incredible it locked on and worked perfectly.

This is pretty much my exact situation. I was never able to get a lock without "use wireless networks" both pre and post update. For the people reporting success here, did your GPS always work even before today's update?

Upvote 0
Working better. I get a within 50 meter lock within 20 seconds. Within 10 meter lock in ~60 secs. My sat icon on the notification bar stops its animation and becomes steady a little after 60 seconds. Although it did move me around a bit at first but after a few seconds had me pegged good. This was all thru google maps, up to date, with use wireless networks disabled. The sky is partly cloudy as well. To me it is working just as well if not better than my 3GS.

UPDATE: Locks on much faster now since it's not a "cold" start. Satellite icon also becomes steady much faster. I have not tested this with google navigation as I don't use it that much. I use google maps for directions but I don't like turn-by-turn, for one it sucks up battery freakin fast, but mainly just because I don't need it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones