• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS altitude WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off

jasonacg

Mar 11, 2010
Tampa Bay, FL
I'm using an Epic with stock EL30, but rooted with CWM.

Why does my GPS say that my current elevation is 1.4 MILLION feet? Since I'm not currently in orbit, I'm pretty sure that number is just slightly off. It seems like it's reporting the distance between me, and the GPS satellite itself.

This is showing in two different apps. Lat/Lon is OK. 2-dimensional error is as low as five feet. I can see up to 12 satellites, and I have a fix on as many as 11 of them. So, there's plenty of help from above.

After doing the CWM update to EL30, I noticed the problem, and that my GPS performance wasn't that great. So, I re-ran the GPS fix from the EI22 update. It greatly improved my 2-D performance again. The elevation error was present both before and after the GPS fix. However, I did not pay attention to the elevation before going from EI22 to EL30, so I don't know if this is an ongoing problem, or something that appeared since going to EL30.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones