• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS Location gripes

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
Okay, I'm driving along, get out of my car and walk into a restaurant.

Decide that I want to get on FB and let my buddies know where I am and titillate them with all of the awesome seafoods I have found.....

grrrr! FB claims that it can't find my location, Please turn on your GPS!

so, I open my favorite GPS tool * GPS Status & Toolbox - Android Apps on Google Play

which I really like because it first downloads the satellite Ephemeris and zooms in quick, locks on, and done!

well, this restaurant has a tin roof, oops! So, I walk outside, let it lock on, walk back inside, and nada.....

why in the hell can't the FB app or other location wanting apps just use the "last known" as of 5 seconds ago location?

This really grinds me to no end.

There is one tool that does not have this problem, it is Speedview, it just silently waits until it sees the sats moving by and then starts working.... but, that is of no help when I want to see what "restaurants or toy stores" are nearby for me to choose from to brag on where I am.

* SpeedView: GPS Speedometer - Android Apps on Google Play

I often use Wechat to brag about where I am to all my friends and colleagues, and never have any problems like that with it.
43b53d2ba0ab83782247536552229b86.jpg

London Heathrow, Terminal 4. And that was well underground. Chinese version Oppo R7 Plus.

257dc7cec6be0c6b493541424b5d3b20.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting, I am not familiar with WeChat, have not heard of any of my friends using it, but I will ask around about it.

Now I have a face for you :)

Mine's not quite so neat.... I seldom get 'selfies' as I ride my motorcycle alone most of the time....
guess I need to get one of those little camera stands for the quickie shots.

.Selfie.jpg that is not a very good shot, I was attending the funeral of a friend's wife. He and she were riding together and a car crossed the double yellow line and hit them head on. He barely had time to say "aw shit this is going to............." and it was all over.....

he stayed on the bike, a GL1800 and suffered severe injuries to his left side.... he tried to divert to the right.
she was thrown clear and landed many feet away on her face.... even with the helmet and riding gear, the impact was so bad, it scrambled her bone structure. The EMTs pronounced her DOA on the way to the hospital.

the button on my shirt was created for her honor, if you zoom in, you can see her face.
RIP Jeannette Lawson.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
installed WeChat, and out of 350 contacts, not a single one of them is registered with WeChat...

so, back to Facebook I guess.... I will never convince enough to use it, they will just say "nah", FB is good enough.
the guy I want most to use it, will not install anything period that did not come on his phone when he bought it.

he is a Truck driver, and says Facebook is the only thing he can deal with.... no time for anything else.

I removed it from my HomeScreen, if someone else finds me, so be it, if not, it will eventually be uninstalled........................................
but, that begs the question? they now have my full Contacts list on their server, and I don't like that. I almost did not allow it to install.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones