• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS locking issue on 4.0.3 without network connection

santacrab

Lurker
Jan 4, 2012
I experienced a problem with Nexus S locking on GPS days ago. Usually when I'm in Italy, I'm always connected to internet and GPS lock very fast, helped by the network.
But days Iago I went to London, with pre-cached map of the city and in 3 days the phone NEVER locked on the GPS system unless a wireless connection. All it said was "Trying to get current position..." and after a few seconds "Impossible to get the current position. Retry later".

While trying to get the position on googlemap in the status bar I noticed the empty GPS-circle never started to blink...

Exactly the same thing happened to my brother device (also a 4.0.3 Nexus S).

I know that without the network connection help the locking could take very long, expecially because I moved from a country to another, but "long" shouldn't be "never"....

I tried also to make GPS lock helped by a wireless connection; it succesfully locked but after some times it stopped again. Now, if my device knew it was in London, it should have locked easely on GPS network, with the updated satellite map.

Did anyone experienced it?

I experienced a problem with Nexus S locking on GPS days ago. Usually when I'm in Italy, I'm always connected to internet and GPS lock very fast, helped by the network.
But days Iago I went to London, with pre-cached map of the city and in 3 days the phone NEVER locked on the GPS system unless a wireless connection. All it said was "Trying to get current position..." and after a few seconds "Impossible to get the current position. Retry later".

While trying to get the position on googlemap in the status bar I noticed the empty GPS-circle never started to blink...

Exactly the same thing happened to my brother device (also a 4.0.3 Nexus S).

I know that without the network connection help the locking could take very long, expecially because I moved from a country to another, but "long" shouldn't be "never"....

I tried also to make GPS lock helped by a wireless connection; it succesfully locked but after some times it stopped again. Now, if my device knew it was in London, it should have locked easely on GPS network, with the updated satellite map.

Did anyone experienced it?

Im pretty much in the same boat as you. Though Im in the USA!

Navigation freezes and lags up on both my Nexus S and Nexus One phones! While on my Nexus One phone, it only started doing it after the last few map updates from Google. Used to never ever do it.

It does it constantly on my Nexus S. It annoys the hell out of me. It will lag up so bad that it will lose GSP signal.

Hope Google fixes it!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones