• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS notification bar problem

A few days ago the GPS notification icon started popping up at the top of my screen at random without me even running an app that requires GPS. I have tried to kill any app that potentially uses GPS with taskiller, disabling GPS all-together, and rebooting my phone to get it to go away. The only temporary solution I have found is to enter and then exit google maps. That works for a little while but then, bam, out of nowhere the little satellite icon appears again. I don't mind if it is just a little glitch and my GPS isn't actually being accessed, but if it is, that is a serious hit to my battery life. I haven't noticed a dramatic change in battery life since it started happening but I do seem to get less time out of the phone. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is it a big deal and how do you fix it? THANKS!

the GPS symbol has now appeared in my notification bar too...
I have tried uninstalling all new programs and settings but can
not shut it off. GPS is not active though...there is a line going through
the symbol that goes away when I turn GPS on. I just want to get the
symbol out of my notification bar...it wasn't there before and its not
on the other phones we have.

Upvote 0
the GPS symbol has now appeared in my notification bar too...
I have tried uninstalling all new programs and settings but can
not shut it off. GPS is not active though...there is a line going through
the symbol that goes away when I turn GPS on. I just want to get the
symbol out of my notification bar...it wasn't there before and its not
on the other phones we have.

Maybe just a reboot will help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones