• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS or AGPS?

popcanguy

Lurker
Nov 18, 2010
Hi All,
I'm new to android and I'm trying to decide on which phone to get. So far the LG Shine plus (LG Ally) seems to have all the functions that I need, and I would go for it IF it has a standalone GPS. On the specs, it says it has AGPS, and I think it means it will only function if it can contact the cel towers. Personally I find that to be a bit usless as the time when I need GPS the most is when I don't even have cel coverage, so AGPS is only a compliment to the standalone GPS function. Anyway, can someone in this forum confirm for me whether it has a standalone GPS or just AGPS? I guess one easy way to test would be to remove the sim card and if you can get a location lock with GPS app like copilot, then its a standalone GPS.
Thank you very much
ps. this is posted on LG shine plus forum as well
popcan

Hi All,
I'm new to android and I'm trying to decide on which phone to get. So far the LG Shine plus (LG Ally) seems to have all the functions that I need, and I would go for it IF it has a standalone GPS. On the specs, it says it has AGPS, and I think it means it will only function if it can contact the cel towers. Personally I find that to be a bit usless as the time when I need GPS the most is when I don't even have cel coverage, so AGPS is only a compliment to the standalone GPS function. Anyway, can someone in this forum confirm for me whether it has a standalone GPS or just AGPS? I guess one easy way to test would be to remove the sim card and if you can get a location lock with GPS app like copilot, then its a standalone GPS.
Thank you very much
ps. this is posted on LG shine plus forum as well
popcan

Most of us have LG Ally's and they are CDMA phones which means no sim card or anything of that nature. As for the GPS, you do have to have cell service to get the gps going. However, if you do have cell service and get your destination put in, it will give you a list of directions if I remember correctly.

Reactions: popcanguy
Upvote 0
it's definately aGPS, and all cell phones are unless specifically stated. Garmin might have their phone as a standalone GPS. You need some sort of network connection. And if you don't have a cell signal, a wireless signal will work (like in europe). but without any wifi or cell network to transfer the GPS signal for some processing, you'll never get a lock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones