• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS randomly activating ??

slugbug

Jul 26, 2010
Longhorn Land
I have tried everything and done a lot of tweaking to get better battery life and am very please. I followed the HOW TO FIX FROYO and also did several things suggest in the 20 Ways to Increase Battery for Evo link (or whatever it is called). Many suggestions seem to certainly help, but I did not do a few things that would sacrifice my personal use or enjoyment of the phone.

I did something yesterday but I am not sure what and I think I want it to stop. I leave 3G on all the time by choice

See if Maps is running.

Right after I let AppBrain update a number of my apps - it insisted it did, but in reality several of those apps disappeared - my Wifi stopped working, my GPS started behaving as yours is and my battery life got very screwy for a few hours, right down to the whole battery in the notifications not matching the battery itself. I cleared up some/all of it (???) with the How-to and even did a battery pull.

I'm gathering system logs now.

I also noticed that my weather widget (I use the big numbers w/ weather under it widget) was no longer auto-updating - I went to weather by tapping the sun on the widget, then Settings, noticed weather was now set to not auto-update - I put that on, changed the update freq back to the ridiculous default of 6 hours - then turned auto-update off - and things seemed to instantly level out for me.

It's too soon to say if that was coincidental or not until I can study the system log files.

I mention this in the event that it might be related - I believe that weather widget insists on operating best using the towers for location-based weather service and I'm merely guessing that might be related to gps.

PS - In your phone setup, there's a check-box to allow Google to gather your location data for searches and "other Google services."

Rather than hunt for it in settings - that's an app called Settings in your drawer (top hat icon) - you can run that, and skip through everything but that location page. Use that to quickly verify your location options.

Reactions: slugbug
Upvote 0
No, Maps is not running. I use The Weather Channel App/widget and even though it always shows me the current temps and weather alerts I never saw the GPS run until yesterday. The pre-installed Weather app is set to not sync. Background data is ON and Auto Syn is ON Google and Facebook. It seems like somewhere the GPS is also set to activate/run whenever I wake up the phone.

I have moved the Settings to an icon to make it easier to access. Under Location I have:
Use Wireless Networks – checked
Location Setting – ON
Use GPS – On

I do want GPS on, I just don’t know why it randomly goes active. By the time I see it and look under running services or drag the notification bar down, it is gone/done.

Upvote 0
Yep, I like having GPS on as well, I just want to know if anything's screwy going on with it that needs a bit of straightening out.

I don't use Facebook, so I don't know if it's also gathering location info - or - if it's merely your weather stuff doing some momentary updates.

If either of us learns anything on this, let's check back here.

Upvote 0
It's happening again. No know reason, I have not changed anything. All of a sudden this morning I am noticing the GPS randomly becoming active again.

EarlyMon - did you ever figure out anything on yours? I know you had an AppBrain go all sorts of screwy on you.

There just appears to be no logical reason for this to just happen for no reason. I realize there must BE a reason, but I didn't chagne any setting or add any kind of app that uses GPS. I will go back in and double check my settings. See if those changed. If they did....I am still concerned as to why.

Upvote 0
I ended up deciding to just clean out my phone and restore it from a earlier image, an advantage of root.

It's the equivalent of doing the factory reset + radio + PRL and then reloading and reconfiguring everything by hand.

When the smoke settles, I'm going to hand over everything I've learned to AppBrain - for all know, this was coincidental to one app or process going nuts and then causing a cascade failure.

The one thing that has been sticking out in my mind is that it downloaded a different Bubble app from a different dev than the one I had. I wish now that I'd written down that info to share with them.

PS - for an experiment - take your Weather Channel icon off your desktop, go to Applications, All tab, go to the Weather channel, and clear out data and force quit. See if your GPS access stops. If in your case it turns out to just be the way the Weather Channel is working, you can reconfigure that guy when you set it back on your desktop.

Upvote 0
I have tried everything suggested and the GPS still comes on randomly. I unistalled and re-instaled the app, did what you suggested, etc. I guess since it started doing this randomly I hope it will stop randomly. Even when I force close The Weatehr Channel, the GPS shows up top as activated and active, so I don't know what it is tied to. Nothing, absolutely nothing in Running Services or Astro shows anything running that should be using the GPS.

It's curious, that's all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones