• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS + Sat Nav

ZingXao

Mar 11, 2011
I was going to stick this in the P500 thread, but figured it covers most phones.

Anyway, how does the GPS work on phones? Does it work in conjunction with the internet? Am only asking, because when am out with a low internet signal, only picking up GPRS, and I enable GPS to look on Google Maps to pinpoint me, it always times out because there's a low signal.

Also, how well does scrobbler work? I had it installed, but removed it when I remembered about my issues with Google Maps and the low internet signal.

Thanks.

Anyway, how does the GPS work on phones? Does it work in conjunction with the internet?
Yes and no. Here's what most people don't seem to understand:

The GPS receiver is what actually determines your location. The GPS receiver does not require data. It only needs to be able to get a fix using signal from the GPS satellites.

The GPS app provides everything else (maps, POI's, voice prompts, tracking, etc). The GPS receiver basically supplies latitude, longitude, altitude and the time. Your GPS app takes that location data and makes it actually useful to you. It's really the GPS app that determines the data requirements.

Am only asking, because when am out with a low internet signal, only picking up GPRS, and I enable GPS to look on Google Maps to pinpoint me, it always times out because there's a low signal.
What exactly times out? Your receiver should work and should provide your location to Google Maps. Google Maps, without data coverage, can stick your location on a map but it won't be able to pull map data. A point on a blank screen is expected in such situations. What exactly are you seeing?

Have you tried any apps such as GPS Status? Such apps provide quite a bit of info on what's going on with your GPS receiver. You'll be able to see which satellites it's picking up and whether or not it has been able to get a GPS fix. GPS Status also has a tool to clear aGPS data which comes in very handy if your GPS receiver ever has problems getting a fix due to aGPS issues. These apps are just very useful for troubleshooting GPS issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones