• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS tracking hourly ???

Mike777

May 15, 2010
Hi all

This there an application for GPS tracking on a smart phone which would switch on hourly to send an update on location to an email address rather than a continuous track

Going on a long journey and need to conserve battery!

Many thanks

Mike

Hi all

This there an application for GPS tracking on a smart phone which would switch on hourly to send an update on location to an email address rather than a continuous track

Going on a long journey and need to conserve battery!

Many thanks

Mike

I don't know of one myself, it sure would be nice if there was one out there. If you don't find one before your trip try instamapper.com (you'll need to create an account first, its free)

The instamapper app is in the android market "GPS Tracker" if you can't find it try searching for Instamapper LLC. You'll need this for it to work. Don't worry it will only display co-ordinates, its not designed to show a map.

It's straightforward to set up you can change the transmit report time (possibly to an hour?) so it'll sleep for awhile. However your internet will still be on... draining battery.

My brother and i tried a live trace and it worked very well.

Dont forget to let me know if you find one.

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones