1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

GPS tracking hourly ???

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Mike777, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Mike777

Mike777 Well-Known Member
    None

May 15, 2010
    Hi all

This there an application for GPS tracking on a smart phone which would switch on hourly to send an update on location to an email address rather than a continuous track

Going on a long journey and need to conserve battery!

Many thanks

Mike

Advertisement

2. MikeyCooperH

MikeyCooperH Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    stock control
    England, UK
    I don't know of one myself, it sure would be nice if there was one out there. If you don't find one before your trip try instamapper.com (you'll need to create an account first, its free)

The instamapper app is in the android market "GPS Tracker" if you can't find it try searching for Instamapper LLC. You'll need this for it to work. Don't worry it will only display co-ordinates, its not designed to show a map.

It's straightforward to set up you can change the transmit report time (possibly to an hour?) so it'll sleep for awhile. However your internet will still be on... draining battery.

My brother and i tried a live trace and it worked very well.

Dont forget to let me know if you find one.

Happy hunting!

3. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2009
    Manchester, UK
    I use Tasker to send an hourly SMS message with my location and you should be able to adapt the principles to work with email. Have a look at the Tasker wiki at About - Tasker Wiki for ideas.

There may also be dedicated apps on the market - the advantage with Tasker is that you get a lot of potential functionality for your money!