• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

grey signal on jellybean vodafone uk

Google talk has been down most of today. When that happens (phone not communicating with Google servers) the bar goes grey. It's possible your issue was just a coincidence, or you might have restored some settings incorrectly - try deleting the account and adding it again if it persists...

Upvote 0
Since I updated to jellybean my Vodafone UK signal bars have been grey instead of blue. Does this mean anything? Also the play store has stopped working over 3g (keeps saying authentication required) but logs in to play store no problem over wifi.

Any help appreciated!

Do you see the little H, G or 3G symbols next to them? If not then I've noticed (in the UK) that JellyBean seems to be a bit lazier at ensuring theres a data connection, particularly when wifi is 'on' but the wifi signal isn't particularly strong.

Its presumably a battery saving thing, but it can be a nuisance.

Upvote 0
Sorry for delay,

I've got ota JB, I've never been signed in to Google talk before and never had a problem. Still got the problem now over H signal. I can load internet pages and Facebook and g+ but not play store, and Google now never works except on wifi. I signed out my Google account and resigned in, same problem still. Tried signing into talk and i couldn't over H but can over wifi

Upvote 0
As far as grey vs blue is concerned in the upper right hand corner. I asked a similar question a short while ago.

I was informed that grey means connected (to wifi or carrier sginal, etc.) and they will adjust with number of bars regarding signal strength.

Blue will mean the same, but indicate you are able to communicate to your google account.

Upvote 0
I think in your case it is safe to disregard a SIM card problem as you would not be able to receive any data for internet browsing and such at all. It sounds to me as if you have a firmware problem, which can sometimes occur during an upgrade. I'd first try to completely remove and then re-add your google account. This can sometimes resolve any Google-side issues and is the least painful as it will only take a couple of minutes and all of your data from your account will resync automatically.

If this does not resolve the problem do a factory reset (beware it will wipe everything on your phone, so take appropriate backups of anything important prior to doing it).

If you then still have the issue it is likely to be a hardware problem and no amount of flashing (radios, ROMS's etc.) is going to resolve. In that case it would be a replacement under warranty, if applicable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones