• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS3 and 4g??? wtf

robertj298

Jul 12, 2011
My wife just got a new GS3 and has been playing with it. I still have my htc incredible2 3g so I thought we'd do a little test. Everyone in the verizon store boasted about how 4g is 10 times faster than 3g. The other day we had our phones out so we did a little test. We have several of the same bookmarks so we compared side by side. Her phone showed she had a 4g connection mine showed 3g. In each of the 4 sites we tested my phone loaded the web page faster than hers.

The speed of loading websites is not a very good test of internet speed since most of it is limited by how fast browser and render the data that it received. A better test would be downloading/uploading a big file (or a big app). Or you can always use the speedtest.net app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest

In my area, I get around 1-2 mbps max on 3g however usually its slower than 1 mbps. With 4g, I get up to 40 mbps if i'm right next to a cell tower but usually between 10-20 so I would say its 10x faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones