• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS3 Case discussion thread

Mine just came in the mail, ordered it on Amazon for $30.50 with Prime. Got the white/pink one. :p

Feels really good in the hand (granted I don't have the phone yet) but my biggest concern was bulk and this is thinner than my Incredible (og) both with its case and naked. Very excited.

I really want the green one but was worried about bulk. I, too, have the incredible now and don't want a case that is too much thicker if possible while still providing a lot of protection. Definitely would love to see photos once you get the phone!

Upvote 0
...brilliant, here's looking forward to photos ;)

Photos! :)

Sorry the lighting wasn't the greatest, was in a bit of a hurry and didn't have time to get everything set. I have a TPU case for the Incredible, I can't remember the brand but purchased it direct from Verizon and it has this slight honeycomb design on the back. "Slim" for its time, and since it's all I've known I absolutely did not expect it to be thicker than the S3/case.

The inside lip of the case:

camera002.jpg

The back:

camera001.jpg

My Incredible (OG) with TPU case inside the Speck:

camera003.jpg

camera004.jpg

The Incredible without the case, inside the Speck:

camera005.jpg

The two cases side by side (with the phone in the Speck...forgot to take it out for the photo, oh well)...the Inc case is noticeably thicker:

camera006.jpg

Upvote 0

Sorry the lighting wasn't the greatest, was in a bit of a hurry and didn't have time to get everything set. I have the honeycomb TPU case for the Incredible, I can't remember the brand but purchased it direct from Verizon and it has this slight honeycomb design on the back. "Slim" for its time, and since it's all I've know I absolutely did not expect it to be thicker than the S3/case.

Wow! Thank you so much! Those photos are perfect. I can visualize how big it is now and it should hopefully fit in my pocket :) I am curious how much lip will be over the front of the phone to protect the screen from front facing falls... and how cushioned the corners/sides are. Does the inside layer feel squishy or forgiving at all?

Upvote 0
Wow! Thank you so much! Those photos are perfect. I can visualize how big it is now and it should hopefully fit in my pocket :) I am curious how much lip will be over the front of the phone to protect the screen from front facing falls... and how cushioned the corners/sides are. Does the inside layer feel squishy or forgiving at all?

I think the lip goes over the phone, but of course cannot confirm until at least next week (ughhhhh!). From what I've read and saw in reviews, it does protect it if it fell screen down on a flat surface. That was another important factor in my selection and I think this will work well since I notoriously do drop my phone from time to time.

The inside is definitely softer than the outside like the site says, but not really squishy...kind of this rubbery/foamy feel, and it doesn't seem to be thicker in the corners or sides. It's like one even coat. The back of the box says "a shock-absorbent rubberized interior" and hopefully it rings true!!

Reactions: parapluie
Upvote 0
...very nice, thanks for taking the time to post them! I'll really have to look into a Speck case this weekend, and maybe give my Otterbox Commuter a break.

Sorry the lighting wasn't the greatest, was in a bit of a hurry and didn't have time to get everything set. I have a TPU case for the Incredible, I can't remember the brand but purchased it direct from Verizon and it has this slight honeycomb design on the back. "Slim" for its time, and since it's all I've known I absolutely did not expect it to be thicker than the S3/case.

The inside lip of the case:

camera002.jpg

The back:

camera001.jpg

My Incredible (OG) with TPU case inside the Speck:

camera003.jpg

camera004.jpg

The Incredible without the case, inside the Speck:

camera005.jpg

The two cases side by side (with the phone in the Speck...forgot to take it out for the photo, oh well)...the Inc case is noticeably thicker:

camera006.jpg

Upvote 0
Not much drop protection.... :hmmmm2:
personally, i'm more concerned with finding a thin case and about it sliding across the floor. knock on wood, but i've been able to break the fall of my current phone with my foot most times and the phone ends up sliding on the ground.

the times that it has dropped straight to the ground, the hard plastic case takes the punishment of the fall and pops off.

i'm sure someone will buy the sammy cases before i do. the pics on their site aren't very good.

EDIT pics here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-oem-gs3-slim-cover-2-pack-pattern-cases.html

pic from user bdmridgback
62ee73f6-308d-fb93.jpg

"...I can fold these Samsung covers in half, even roll it up, but it isnt rubbery like a TPU and not hard plastic. First time I have ever seen a case styled this way."

Upvote 0
That looks sick but it looks like it does absolutely nothing for protection. Except prevent scratches on the back.

I think "...absolutely nothing for protection." is a bit of an exaggeration. It does appear that it won't protect it as well as some that cover the top and bottom better but it does appear to have a lip around the front for face-first landings and anything around the back and sides (Other than film) will provide at least some drop protection. I prefer a TPU case or a silicone case combined with a hard shell for drop protection. My wife and kids have all used hard shell cases and they have all dropped theirs and their phones have survived unscathed.

Benny

Upvote 0
I really love the pixelskin HD, but their candyshell and fashion series stuff sucks bigtime. If the S3 gets the pixelskin HD, I'm there, otherwise I'll just go with the Androidified.

Do you have past experience with the CandyShell not functioning well (i.e., no protection in a fall, gets easily scratched, etc.) or do you just not like the way it looks? I haven't ever used one before so I'm trying to make an informed decision.

Upvote 0
Bought the Otterbox Commuter case for my new S3 and boy was I disappointed. The buttons are so stiff with the case on that you can barely even use them. Not that you use them all that often but it's nice to be able to use them when you need to. The screen protector doesn't cover the outer portion of the screen (it covers the "screen screen" but not the outer area of the glass which can still get scratched and look bad) and is cutout to not cover part of the bottom of the screen for no reason. My screen protector didn't separate from the backing anyways and was a dud. On the plus side the rubber + hard plastic layering was easy to slip on and looks like it will protect the phone really well. I'll be trying some of the others in this thread out for sure so keep the reviews coming!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones