• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GS4 charging issue

Boot with it plugged in. Works fine.

I already noted this upthread (and I think someone else did, too, but that might be another thread) -- although I'm glad you mentioned it again, because it raises the issue of what the hell is going on here.

Because it's more than just that. My Samsung supplied charger (with Amazon extension) absolutely will charge without having to reboot. 100%. No problem. It will pick up that charger on the fly.

It will also pick up an Amazon Kindle 9W charger on the fly. (A discovery I made by accident.)

I have two Motorola charges which used to work with the phone all the time. After 4.3, it will sometimes pick up one of them on the fly but not the other; although it will charge with either one if I reboot while plugged in. (I see no difference in the specs of these chargers, although the one it likes less seems to have a slightly thinner cable.)

So, yeah, there's something in 4.3 which makes it more picky about what it will charge with, but the problem does not occur if you reboot while plugged in.

That's messed up.

Upvote 0
Something not right. Why would the OS care about the charger on the fly. But let it work at boot. It should kick it if that's really the issue. I got a feeling we will have a flood of these complaints as the rollout moves forward. Pain in the azz to reboot every time. I gave my new charging cable to GF for her S3. Hers broke. So I can't test. But all 3 of my aftermarket and my expensive car/ac charger I got from sprint with my Evo4G don't work on the fly. Got a feeling somebody will write an app to get around this little bug. Otherwise happy with 4.3. So far.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting to hear if the new update will eliminate the need for buying more cables.

I joked in another thread that Verizon will push that update the same day that my new cables arrive.

Seriously though, with better cables most likely comes faster charging, and since I don't tend to stay in the car for that long, faster charging could be useful in some situations (particularly since I don't always plug in the phone while navigating, which does drain the battery.)

Upvote 0
Yesterday I grabbed a USB cable to use to tether a Netbook. I didn't expect it to charge the phone when connected, because it doesn't work in the car, but it did. What's odd though is that there was a message in the pull down notifications to switch the cable to get faster charging!

So there are apparently three possible situations with the cable:

1. Too low of voltage to charge at all (and no warning).
2. Low voltage with a slow charge warning.
3. Proper voltage with fast charging.

Update: Yesterday I was tethered with a good cable and it charged with no warning. So clearly the cable is important.

Upvote 0
I had a update last night. To MK2.
Looks like the charger issue went away.
It's working normal again with all my chargers.

Who's your provider (not listed)? I tried updating, and it says I'm up to date (MJ7).

When I plug into my HTC wall charger with USB it charges everytime, even with cable I use in the car. In the car with new changer that they gave me with the phone it won't charge.

Upvote 0
Is this recent? Like really recent?

My phone stopped recognizing when it was plugged in to the charger with the 4.3 update.

That's when mine started to freak out.

And the sad thing is I drove to Verizon and the dang thing worked when I took it inside.

From what I've observed is that it wont recognize to charge at least 50% of the time I plug on the charger be it wall charger, car charger or the PC cable.
If you unplug and plug it in repeatedly it will eventually go into charge mode. (For those doing the reboot, try this instead).
Once it recognizes charge mode it charges fine.

I think it is definitely something to do with the 4.3 Update I got.

Upvote 0
From what I've observed is that it wont recognize to charge at least 50% of the time I plug on the charger be it wall charger, car charger or the PC cable.

Are you using the same USB cable for all those methods? That's very odd that it would be so consistent. I find that most things either work or don't work, but that there are some combinations that work some of the time or for a short time (and then stop charging).

Now that I have good USB cables I've not had a single problem for weeks (except that one tethering issue I mentioned where I wasn't using a good cable).

Upvote 0
MK2 will show on your build no. I am Sprint.
4.3 implementation used new mini HDMI spec. It would charge if you plugged in cable to phone. Then plug to AC or DC. I never played with USB. You could not plug phone in on the fly as before. Or Reboot worked. Or on the fly worked if phone was off. The MK2 seemed to fix the 4.3 driver bug. It works as before at 4.22. Stock ROM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones