• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Patrick Henry

Dec 18, 2017
I have the above mentioned phone that was working fine looking at photos from my trail cameras. The only problem was that google photos was backing them all up when I didn't want it to. So I turned off the automatic backup in google photos and now it doesn't even recognize the card reader at all. It shows that it's charging the device when I plug it in now.

With a Pixel phone to change USB setting, ie, from charging to data

You can set the Default USB configuration in the Settings > System > Developer options.

To unhide the Developer options menu:
  1. Go to "Settings", then tap "About device" or "About phone".
  2. Scroll down, then tap "Build number" seven times

Upvote 0
With a Pixel phone to change USB setting, ie, from charging to data

You can set the Default USB configuration in the Settings > System > Developer options.

To unhide the Developer options menu:
  1. Go to "Settings", then tap "About device" or "About phone".
  2. Scroll down, then tap "Build number" seven times
This is really weird. When I went to developer options and the USB configuration, no data transfer was selected. I had turned the google photos backup back on thinking that was the problem to begin with. I selected the file transfer option and stuck my card reader back in there with an empty SD card. It mounted and wanted to reformat the card so I let it. Then, I went back and turned google photos backup off again and stuck the SD card with some photos on it in there and it's right back to where it was. It won't even mount it again. I even tried putting the card that it reformatted back in the reader, no go. The USB configuration is still set to the file transfer selection.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones