• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Admire To Vitality

Some of you have asked, myself included, how to flash you Samsung Admire from MetroPCS to Cricket. Some have said you can't. Some say you can, but Data doesn't work, or MMS won't work.

I'm here to tell you, you can. I've done it, and got ALL of my features working, from 3G to MMS. Not everyone is going to have the same issues that I did in getting their local Cricket store to set them up. However, this guide is based off the crap I had to deal with when getting my Admire onto Cricket service. I don't claim to know everything. I'm not a dev, nor should I be confused for an expert. This guide is simply based on my experience, and what I have found works on every Admire I have tested, to date (4, as of 12/26/2012

Here's what you'll need:
First, download and install the drivers for our device from here.
Second, you need to download and install QPST
You'll need to download a PRL.
CWM 5.0.2.8
This: A fully Cricket 2.3.4, unrooted, stock 2.3.4, helpfully linked by SPZ0 below. I have used this utility to great effect. One caveat: If, like me, you had to use CDMA Tools or something to change your ESN/MEID, you WILL need to do it again. If the program included doesn't work for some reason, the software package for the phone and the OPS file can be used with ODIN.
This APN File.

1. Install your drivers, and connect your phone in USB storage mode.
2. BACK UP YOUR PHONE!!!!! I'm not going to be responsible for you screwing up your phone.
3. Run the Samsung utility you downloaded (Or, use the software package and OPS file to install with ODIN. I'm going to assume you can look in the Guides here and pull down ODIN, and use it)
4. Once installed, fire up QPST Service Programming. (If your phone is not detected, fire up QPST Configuration, and ensure that your phone has been detected. If it has not, click ADD PORT and add the port your phone is on.)
5: Click M.IP, and then click Read From Phone. (You will need your SPC. If you do not have it, go here and type in your MEID. It will give you your 6-digit SPC)
6. Input the following settings from this image:

Make sure that they match exactly. For now, you can make the user-name 9999999999@mycricket.com.
7. Right click the first profile, and match the settings from this image:
8. To add your PRL, you need to click the ROAM tab

Click Browse, as shown, and navigate to the PRL I told you to download.
9. Finally, you need to click the settings tab, and match these settings as well:
10. Then, click Write To Phone.

This is it. your phone will reset, and you are ready to take it to Cricket, and have them set you up. Before you go, download APN Backup and Restore from the Play Store. Backup your current APN, and place the one you downloaded from me on your phone. Once you have them set you up with service, you will use the APN app to delete your current APN, and install mine. Redial *228, and you should be good to go!​

If you have any questions or concerns, give me a holler. I've been helped by so many people on this forum over the last year and change it's pathetic. It's time I returned the favor.​

Reactions: twogbsd
OR
if you don't mind a full format and a baseband upgrade;

You could just download and run This tool.

http://androidforums.com/vitality-a...et-corporate-eh29-upgrade-utility-leaked.html

PortPilot: As the CWM backup was not mine, I just linked it from another post, I cannot provide a good link for it. However, you can use the utility that SPZ0 mentions. and then make sure your settings are good in QPST. Be sure to push that PRL, too. As long as you do that, and you are provisioned for Data and MMS, you will have NO issues getting this up and running.

Happy Flashing!

Upvote 0
With all due respect, man, I had issues at the store the minute I walked in with a flashed phone, and they couldn't *228 and pick up Cricket. By default, it was kicking over to Sprint. Because of this, rather than doing the offline programming, they flat told me to get bent.
However, after coming home, loading the Cricket PRL for my area (Cricket PRLs are different for each market, and some have even noticed a difference between "standard" and tri-band phones), I was able to get another Cricket store to set me up.
Again, the only reason this guide exists is because of the troubles that I've had getting Cricket to even support my flashed phone, even though it's the SAME damn model as the Vitality. Not everyone is going to experience these issues, and that's cool. I had to go to a corporate store just to get them to activate me, and there's only 3 in all of San Antonio. But again, that's why this guide is here. I don't claim to know a damned thing, other than that this is what works for me, and has kept ALL my services working, even when others said it wouldn't, or would cease to work after time. I've been up and running for a month, with no issues whatsoever.
By the way. This isn't a rant against anything you've said, SPZ. I admire your work (notice the pun), and appreciate everything you've done for us Admire/Vitality users. Your work is the reason my phone has run so smoothly for as long as it has. I acknowledge that you damn sure know more about this stuff than I do, but again, this is something I've tested and know works, not necessarily a definitive, "this is how it MUST be done" guide.

Upvote 0
Let me clarify: http://androidforums.com/vitality-a...et-corporate-eh29-upgrade-utility-leaked.html automatically inserts a generic cricket PRL, so *228 _should_ not be an issue. I have flashed my dev MPCS admire over using this method without issue.
But yes, of course there _are_ other ways to do it if you run into problems - as listed above - flashing a prl is a very simple process whether through qpst, cdmaws or dfs.
In addition you may have to flash new nvitems if you're running into data issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones