• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Guide for using your laptop internet connection

Er...ok. I'm slightly confused. Connectify works on my non-rooted, official Hero...
The screenshot on Connectify title webpage shows a window with a "Status: Access Point" line, so I would guess that their software allows your computer to act as a regular WiFi access point - something that Hero is able to connect to.

We were discussing ad-hoc WiFi networks.

Upvote 0
I was reading through your discussion and I noticed there was some talk about the ease of setting up your own Ad Hoc Connection and if Connectify will remain a free software. I wanted to let everyone know that Connectify just released it's first production ready version Connectify 1.0. And even thow some older wireless cards do not have full Windows 7 support Connectify 1.0 has the ability to act as an Ad Hoc Connection manager without the user changing or configuring any settings. Connectify 1.0 will continue to be a free software application.

Upvote 0
Shame about the following from the Connectify web site
Does it run on Windows Vista or Windows XP?

Sorry, not at this time. Connectify depends on improvements made in Windows 7 to operate. Frankly, Windows 7 is such a big improvement, that we suggest you're better off upgrading than waiting for us to get all this working on an older version of Windows.
I like the idea of what they are doing but I don't think it's worth the price of buying a new version of Windows. XP and 2000 do all I need from a PC ;)

Upvote 0
Seems like there's a lot of things that hamstring the Hero.
I've logged tickets with their support and got the following responses:

"HTC Hero doesn't support the Bluetooth file transfer, thus you can't use the external USB or bluetooth keyboard."

(I don't know what the connection between file transfer, USB, or keyboards is) and:

"currently there is no other way to install the Thai langauge because your phone doesn't support it."

Now it seems the Hero can't connect to Ad-Hoc networks? I've tried to set it up on my laptop running Ubuntu, the network starts up fine but it isn't visible from the Hero.

At the moment, I assume this will all be fixed by 3rd-party apps, but I'm rather taken aback that such basic things are absent at the outset.

Upvote 0
My work space's internet connection is proxied. I connect to the internet on my laptop through LAN and want to share this connection to my android phone. But I dont have an option to set the proxy settings in my android. Is it possible to do something in the PC, so that I dont have to put proxy settings in my phone?

Upvote 0
Want to connect Android mobile to laptop internet by USB cable

Hello,

Do you have any definitive reply about connecting your phone to internet through USB ?

My laptop is using a Wifi that needs USER and PASSWORD to login, and I cannot login on laptop and phone at the same time (only one user can be connected).

Thanks.

i got your problem.This is so simple.You can use the laptop's wifi to emulate the ip packets and receive simultaneously.

i.e Internet: --> wifi in and wifi out

procedure: you are connected to internet through wifi.[and also no other user can connect simultaneously].So use mhotspot. you can now create a wifi hotspot with the laptop's wifi.

Therefore, your phone can connect to you laptop's wifi and access internet.

check dis link for pictorial explanation Extend your wifi range

Upvote 0
I found a nice little device called BUFFALO (NTechnology Wireless N150 Ultra Compact USB 2.0 Adapter).

Just connect it to your Laptop/PC USB port, it allows you to turn your laptop into a wireless access point by broadcasting the broadband signal available on your laptop as WIFI...

You can browse simultaneously on your laptop as well as connect any devices Phone/Nintendo, etc to it an use the wifi :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones