• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] From 100% Stock to CM6 Froyo

So I've been running Unrevoked 3 for about two weeks now, and I hate how it's not NAND unlocked because I want to run Cyan6 sooooo bad. Stupid noob question, but do I have to unroot before I can root with this program? It wasn't working before; thus why I had to use u3, but now it can actually detect my phone, which is great. I tried running it again today, followed all the steps, too, but nope, still no Cyan 6 and kept getting the "Older version!/update failed!" message or something.

Upvote 0
So I've been running Unrevoked 3 for about two weeks now, and I hate how it's not NAND unlocked because I want to run Cyan6 sooooo bad. Stupid noob question, but do I have to unroot before I can root with this program? It wasn't working before; thus why I had to use u3, but now it can actually detect my phone, which is great. I tried running it again today, followed all the steps, too, but nope, still no Cyan 6 and kept getting the "Older version!/update failed!" message or something.

Nope, just follow the steps for Simpleroot, you should be a-ok. CM6 is fantastic btw, I'm still amazed... can't believe I was missing out (and I've only had the phone since last saturday haha)

Upvote 0
So, I went through one hell of a time last night trying to get this "simple" root thing to work. While the process may be simple, the complications that went along with literally every single step were far from it for me. The night was capped off with my SD card going into a permanent "read only" state just as I began flashing clockwork to my card.

So I went and got a different card because I found out that the one I had purchased was a fake from a scam... great news... and started it all again this morning.

Everything was going fine this morning with no issues whatsoever and me following verbatim every single thing that the SimpleRoot told me to do and everything the forums said. Then, suddenly, on Step 4 when the phone is supposed to go into bootloader and recognize the "update" then run through the update process, I get no such option. Instead, what I am seeing is just a bunch of "wrong image" messages and then nothingness.

I have attempted to go back through steps 2 and 3 numerous times with no improvement whatsoever... can someone please help me because this is really starting to frustrate me and I'm pretty sure that even if this process doesn't brick my phone, I am most likely going to still use it as I would a brick and chuck the damn thing through a window!! Please help!!

Upvote 0
I don't know exactly what the problem you're having is cause I'm very new to all this, but I know it hung on "starting part 2" on step 4 for me. I restarted from the beginning at step 1 and it worked perfectly after that. Good luck!

EDIT: Also, if you are going to throw your phone, at least make the throw useful and aim it at the loser who scammed you.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess it's just not meant to be then, I've followed every single guide there is numerous times and I've gone through SimpleRoot well over 15 times, all the way through each step. Nothing makes it so that my phone will recognize the update and update. No one seems to be able to help either so I guess it was a good run and it was fun while it lasted... so long, Android Community, it's too bad, it could've been fun...

EDIT: @Unclm311 - *Aims very carefully for Hong Kong, says a little prayer, and lets fly what was once a great phone...*

Upvote 0
Cm6 is much faster than the other froyo build i used, Ava-Froyo which has sense. The linkpack were similar, but the quadrant scores almost doubled with CM6. I was getting mid 500s with the stock rom, mid to high 700s with Ava, and 1200-1300 with CM6. I am not using the snap kernel nor am i overclocking.

And that text message for voicemails happened with Ava too, so its just not with CM6. Only flashed Ava last night, and just flashed CM6 a couple of hours ago, the only other bug is that i have noticed is when i restored text messages with My backup pro, they showed up as all coming in today at the same time, 2000 messages, so they are all out of order now. I think this is because the sense message app is not in there, i use handcent but understand that handcent uses whatever stock app to get the messages, so the issue might be importing them into the stock android message app CM6 uses.

Upvote 0
Yeah...I tried doing it a few more times, too and it just wouldn't work for some reason. Read everything closely and carefully, was very patient, followed all the steps and it just wouldn't work. "Main version is older!" kept popping up, wouldn't let me update, and now still no Cyan6. Might have to completely wipe out my phone to try this root process again :/. Baked Snack is fine, but I'd like to just try more ROMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones