• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Giving Some Ligning To Your Volts (Speed Up Your Phone)

Rarewolf

Android Expert
Jan 11, 2012
CaliFornia, Azusa
So Here I Am Rarewolf the King, King of All the Tweaks, Now who'd of thought that? But "How'd I come to this" I hear You Say and who are those strange fellows that surround my posts, I hear you also say. Well it's a long post, Come Closer and I'll Tell you. It all started Yesterday and what a day that was. It's What I call a Bad Fur Day...

Yesterday, I Started Looking into more simple tweaks on what i could do to speed up my phone. It has been a week now, since i started playing a game called "Assasin's Creed Pirates" and what a load it dishes out. At first I was having troubles keeping it running. Yet I was able to tweak the phone and speed it up enough to reduce the crashes per session down to about 30% though now perfectly running in anyway but it was still able to make a major improvement from the past performances.

So lets start with the basics,
Speeding up your phone can either be as simple as turning off settings or as complicated as editing software. You can pick and choose what you would feel most comfortable with and stick with that or just try and go all out. I will split this effort into two categories, Non-root and rooted.

Now you may be asking yourself, "Do I really need this"?
Well, All I could say is, No. Not really. Will it help? Yes. Since there is many benefits of speeding up your phone. Some of which include Improvement in battery Life, Lower App Load Times, a lot Less "Lagginess". This wont just help Users that Love to play their games But other users as well.

Amping Up Your Volts
Your Volt might Be a Really Fancy Upgrade To an older phone you had, making it feel snappier and well-endowed Like a stainless steel whistle. Yet, it still can be faster.

Sacrificing Looks For Maximum Voltage could be a bit distroting for some but for more processing power sometimes you need to sacrifice a little to get a lot.

To do this you will need to enable developer options, if you haven't done so you might need to do it. I gave a link to the guide I used at the Bottom of the post. Once you've done that or you have it enabled just go ahead and continue.

Transitions and effects: This is what makes your phone look and feel fancy on screen, it also takes up valuable resources if you want the most out of your phone. sure it might seem like a little bit, but like the saying goes "every penny counts" So does every bit.

Non-Root
To disable them go to Settings > Developer Options, Then head Down to the Drawing Section. You will need to turn off Window Animation Scale, Transition animation Scale, Animation Duration Scale. Then either turn off developer mode or continue.

Forensic Cleanup Is Great but a Regular Cleanup is Even Better. So, You may or may not know this but your phone has a memory cap. It basically means that it cannot be extended by internal means. Of course you can still install an SD card and transfer apps to your memory card But that could cause slow downs, the total opposite of what we are doing here. So for now lets take out the trash.

Non-Root
To Clean up your phone You can just go to Settings> Apps and delete any apps you dont really use or want. If you are not rooted like me then try and disable them.

Rooted
By Far the best option and If you have Root Options Enabled You have more freedom On what you can and cannot delete, but be warned. You could risk bricking your phone. So here is a link to some information about whats O.K to delete.

NOTE: Before disabling an app make sure you "Force Stop", "Clean Cache" and "Clean Data" this will help make sure the app isn't running in the background.

Here Comes The Thunderand let me tell you, It Can Get Loud.

"Bringing in the Calvary isn't Cheating, It is Strategy" - Rarewolf

Non-Root
Installing apps to help fight the lag is also a way to Make your phone run smoother and/or faster. Here is a few of them.

So, I've never personally used it but I hear many good things about Greenify. Maybe ill even try it after this guide.

This is one of my favorites to use, It helps boost my phone. having it run smoother and faster while saving battery. It also cleans up cache. so if you are a multi app user and that cache takes up space, this can help you clean up faster.

Sporting a New Look Can be Refreshing. So look no further then your launcher. Since it is a given that no launcher is created equal, we should give other ones a try.

Non-Root
Light weight launchers are the best. most cut more then half the ram usage of the original launcher.

Zeam Launcher. This launcher is minimalistic its a great way to get to your apps and save on resources. though it cuts back on some really nice features. Zoom-Zoom

I can't Really say for other ones but check out some other Fast Launchers Out there. Maybe you could find a better one or They will.

This is a guide for the LG Volt Community some items or all may differ from other devices please use your forum category for more assistance.
On another note, this guide is incomplete, if you have suggestions or would like to point out inaccuracies then please leave a comment below.

Disclaimer: Tweak and Mod at your own risk, I am not responsible For your actions everything that you do to your phone is your decision and you are responsible for your actions.

Activating Developer mode: It Gives Lots Of Tweaks For the Geeks, But for you. It Can be Known as the "Shine To your Rays". If you did not catch that, You should Probably Read it again. If you are still Reading this, then you probably just want the answer in this thread. So here it goes, To Enable Developer Options Go to Settings>About Phone>Software Information, Then Tap Build Number About 7 Times. If you did this correctly then congrats. You are now a developer. Now don't go bricking phones just yet, you still need to finish the guide. Once you are done you can safely turn Developer options off inside developer options. It is in the top right corner.

Rooting Your Phone: Can Be As Easy as 3.14159

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones