• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to root T-Mobile 6.0 update

TMacgnolia

Aug 10, 2015
This guide was made before Kingroot was able to root the official update. But thanks to @oskar and @TheDerekHarper on XDA and to @Josephwv on Android forums it is now comfirmed that Kingroot will root the official update. But first you must still follow steps #1 through #6 so Kingroot can root your device.

Now before Kingroot was able to root the update I figured out how to root the official update and it is not all to complicated. The following guide will walk you through the root process. But I am not responsible for anything that happens to your devices by using this guide as you are responsible for your device.

What you need:
1. A computer running Linux or Windows with adb and fastboot installed. (I used Ubuntu)

2. If you are using Windows you need all the drivers for your device installed. Linux users will not have to worry about this.

3. A functioning USB cable for your device.

4. Battery charged at least 50% just for safety.

5. The TWRP revovery.img, this is the same TWRP recovery we already have for the LG G Stylo I have just renamed it to recovery.img to make it easier to type the name in while typing fastboot commands.

6. The SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip by Chainfire. (All credit to Chainfire for this awesome zip.)

How to root your device:

1. I suggest you first go to Settings/General/About Phone/Software info and tap on the "Build number" until it says"You are now a developer". Then back out of until you are in Settings/General and go to "Developer options" and turn "Enable OEM unlock" on. This is to allow TWRP recovery to be able to boot. Also turn on "USB debugging" while you are there.

2. Download the SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip to your device. You need to move the zip file from your Downloads folder to somewhere on your external SD card as it will not be deleted from there when you use the "fastboot oem unlock" command in step #6.

3. Download the recovery.img to your computer. If you do not have adb and fastboot setup globally for linux or in your path for windows you need to move the recovery.img to the directory your adb and fastboot is in and open a terminal or command line (depending on your OS) in that directory or cd to that directory. If you do have adb and fastboot globally or in your path you can just open a terminal or command line in the directory you have the recovery.img or cd to the directory you have the recovery.img.

4. Once you have the terminal or command line open run the command "adb devices" to make sure your devices is detected by adb. You may get a toast pop up on your device asking if you to "Allow usb debugging". Except this as this is the RSA key you need to allow your computer to communicate with your device via adb. You should see something like "LGH631dffacad9 device" in your terminal or command line. If you see "unauthorized" instead of "device" you have not excepted the RSA key.

5.Now type the following command in your terminal or command line. Type "adb reboot bootloader". This will reboot your device to fastboot mode. Once in fastboot mode use the "fastboot devices" to make sure your device is recognized by fastboot. You should see something like "dffacad9 fastboot". If you are in Linux and get a error message you may have to use "sudo fastboot devices" for fastboot to work. (If you are using Windows and are having trouble with fastboot recognizing your device you need to install the device drivers using. If it still does not work install the drivers again with your device connected to your computer in fastboot mode.)

6. To fully unlock your bootloader you have to use the command "fastboot oem unlock". You have to do this or this root method will not work. But be warned that if you do use this command it will factory reset your device. Plus you will get a line of text saying the bootloader is unlocked on the splash screen when you boot your device.

6-1: If you are wanting to use Kingroot to root your device you can reboot your device now. Open the Kingroot app and let it root your device and then use Flashify, Rashr, or a similar app to flash the recovery. Then boot to recovery and flash the SuperSU.zip in recovery and it will remove Kingroot and have SuperSU installed on your device.

7. Now you can do this two ways if you do not want to keep the stock recovery you can use the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" to install the recovery and then use the command "fastboot reboot recovery" to boot to the TWRP recovery. (If this command gives you issue like it seems to be for many then just use the the following method and then use Flashify or Rashr app to install TWRP after you are done rooting.) If you want to keep the stock recovery you can use the command "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot to the TWRP recovery.

8. Once you are booted to the TWRP recovery you should make a full backup first so you have a backup to restore to in case things go bad. After you make a backup then select install and then find the SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip and install it. Once it is installed reboot your device to system. If TWRP gives you a warning about the su binaries missing and asks if you want to install thee su binaries before you reboot select no or it will interfere with the rooting process of the SuperSU.zip. When your device reboots it will boot to the LG splash screen and then reboot again. But then it will boot to the OS but it will take a minute. Make sure you let your device reboot all the way to the lockscreen or home screen depending on if you have a lockscreen enabled or not. You should be fully rooted after this, enjoy.

Last edited:
Wow we have root already ^_^

Now if I can just get this OTA MM update from Tmobile... It's been 24hrs since I went back to stock with KDZ. I've gotten all patches up to H6311OL but not the big MM update. Anyone else still waiting 24+ hours for update like me?

Anyway big thanks to TMacgnolia for discovering root method for us. Awsome job!!

Reactions: TMacgnolia
Upvote 0
TMacgnolia, Thanks for your work here. I wonder for us sprint/boost/virgin users without twrp, or unlocked bootloader. If I put chainfire's su from your link, on my phone, and attempt to install zip from stock recovery what's the diff? I know it's taking an extra chance without twrp to fall back on, but it seems like the new su has all it needs to root MM now. No?

Reactions: TMacgnolia
Upvote 0
TMacgnolia, Thanks for your work here. I wonder for us sprint/boost/virgin users without twrp, or unlocked bootloader. If I put chainfire's su from your link, on my phone, and attempt to install zip from stock recovery what's the diff? I know it's taking an extra chance without twrp to fall back on, but it seems like the new su has all it needs to root MM now. No?

So, can I or can't I, flash supersu from recovery on my sprint variant? Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't see any risk in trying, it would just tell you it isn't compatible or just refuse to do anything with it
I'm not sure what the deal is. I get a "couldn't mount /sdcard (unknown error 150). When I google that, it is a pervasive problem, it must be the stock recovery is crippled, like when you attempt to go to the bootloader the phone just reboots. I'm going to google a little more, but it's more lg bloc than anything probably.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2016-03-12-14-42-34.png

Thank you. my sd card is corrupt now -__- lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones