• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON

Having a problem at the unlocking stage, it's quite strange actually. Tried using the Orange UK RUU, but my phone is sim-free (which i almost forgot) so the on-screen installation was giving me an error saying that I could no update the ROM but there will be one available soon.

Then I used the generic HTC EU RUU, which seemed to work, installation complete, but the phone was still Locked and could not find the image. Then I used the second method by placing the ROM.zip in the root of my SD, the image was successfully found, clicked YES to install it but it still left the message ***LOCKED***

Completely baffled, any idea what might be going wrong? (Also formatted everything and tried again but no such luck)

Upvote 0
Having a problem at the unlocking stage, it's quite strange actually. Tried using the Orange UK RUU, but my phone is sim-free (which i almost forgot) so the on-screen installation was giving me an error saying that I could no update the ROM but there will be one available soon.

Then I used the generic HTC EU RUU, which seemed to work, installation complete, but the phone was still Locked and could not find the image. Then I used the second method by placing the ROM.zip in the root of my SD, the image was successfully found, clicked YES to install it but it still left the message ***LOCKED***

Completely baffled, any idea what might be going wrong? (Also formatted everything and tried again but no such luck)
No, I have an orange sim, just that I could pop any sim in and it would work if you get me?

:thinking: So does your phone use a sim or not? What model is it, A510e Marvel or A510c MarvelC? This makes a huge difference.

Upvote 0
help me guyz i m new to android n got a wildfire s from a shop bt it is unlock(2.3.3) t-mobile
i want to root it.........to install sense 3.5...

If it's T-Mobile then it's probably a CDMA device and there isn't a Sense 3.5 port for it :(

To check, start the phone in hboot (turn off the device, pull the battery for 5 sec., reinsert, hold down volume and press power button). If it says MARVEL then you have a GSM device and can run Sense 3.5.

If it says MARVELC then it's cdma. Check out this thread for your options:
Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

Reactions: bhardwaj918
Upvote 0
If it's T-Mobile then it's probably a CDMA device and there isn't a Sense 3.5 port for it :(

To check, start the phone in hboot (turn off the device, pull the battery for 5 sec., reinsert, hold down volume and press power button). If it says MARVEL then you have a GSM device and can run Sense 3.5.

If it says MARVELC then it's cdma. Check out this thread for your options:
Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

thanx 4 ur rply n i chk my phn type by doing above it z showing-
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.90.0000
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7.46.35.00
APR 8 2011,17:45:10
HBOOT

FAST BOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

wt a do now......
it is of t-mobile bt unlocked as i m using it in india

Upvote 0
is thr any chance of bricking of mine phone as if it does is thr any method to get it well ?????

If you follow the guide carefully, there is a minimal chance that you'll brick the phone. And if you do, since your phone is S-ON, it will likely be a recoverable soft brick meaning you can re-flash a stock HTC ROM from recovery.

Upvote 0
I hate being a pain but CMD is still saying "Waiting for device" after following the steps on HTCdev & the SDK site.

Any help?

Sorry for being a pest aha

If you are sure that sdk tools is properly installed, then check the following:

1. The device is plugged in and turned on (that one was free! :D)
2. The device is in charge only mode.
3. USB debugging is enabled.
4. HTC Sync is installed (along with the drivers) but isn't running in the system tray or background.

Upvote 0
If you are sure that sdk tools is properly installed, then check the following:

1. The device is plugged in and turned on (that one was free! :D)
2. The device is in charge only mode.
3. USB debugging is enabled.
4. HTC Sync is installed (along with the drivers) but isn't running in the system tray or background.

I have HTC Sync & drivers installed by my Phone has always had problems itself syncing. Not sure if that would affect anything, tried reinstalling it etc... but no such luck

scratch that, resolved it myself, will post an update later

edit: where do I make sure the drivers are updated

I feel like such a goon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones