• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to update manually to 4.4.1

Lettuce

Mar 10, 2010
Lincoln, UK
I've been studying dozens of threads over at XDA all day and finally got my head around this update. For those new or inexperienced users (me!) it can be daunting and very confusing so I thought I'd type up some step by step instructions that worked for me.

Pre-conditions: UK Nexus 5 (D281), rooted, TWRP 2.6.3.4, stock ROM, franco kernel r16, no mods, nothing frozen or removed*

1) downloaded factory image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead
2) extracted the tgz, then extracted the tar, then extracted the zip to get the system.img and boot.img files
3) moved these two files into my adb folder (for the fastboot/adb method)
4) downloaded SuperSU-v1.80.zip from SuperSU Download
5) put SuperSU-v1.80.zip on my internal storage
6) downloaded the 4.4.1 OTA update zip from http://android.clients.google.com/p...ed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6.zip
7) renamed it to ota.zip (biggest filename in the world before!)
8) moved ota.zip onto my internal storage
9) rebooted phone into bootloader
10) opened command prompt from within your adb folder
11) connected USB cable
12) typed 'fastboot devices' to check the connection
13) typed 'fastboot flash system system.img'
14) typed 'fastboot flash boot boot.img'
15) used the volume and power buttons to boot into recovery (TWRP)
16) installed ota.zip
17) installed SuperSU-v1.80.zip
18) cleared dalvik and cache
19) rebooted phone

It then went through that process of first boot and optimising 120-or-so apps but I lost no apps or data, everything was right where I left it. Didn't lose root access. To be honest didn't encounter any problems.

E02tvKm.png

* this is just what worked for me because of how my phone was set up before. Some of you will have custom ROMs, some won't. Some will have mods applied, some won't. Some will have different kernels, some won't. Ultimately I think your kernel (boot.img) and ROM (system.img) need to be completely stock without any changes or modifications for my method to work successfully.

There seems to be some negative reports about the updated baseband giving poor signal and slow speeds so I'll leave that for now.

As always you try this at your own risk and I'm not responsible for any damage!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones