• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] LG Motion 4G - CM10 ROMs and Recovery

SwoRNLeaDejZ

Android Expert
Dec 25, 2012
ma
www.sneaky-media.com
So I figured I would write this up, because a lot of people seem confused about this, so it needs to be documented. When this phone came out, we were lucky enough to have root access relatively quickly, and even LUCKIER that the 2nd-init recovery works like a charm on our phone.

Once rooted, and on stock, in order to flash ANYTHING, it is required that you first install 2nd-init. You can check that thread out by clicking here: http://androidforums.com/motion-4g-all-things-root/665972-985hpakick-2nd-init-recovery.html

Now, once you have 2nd-init up and running, and you decide that it is time to check out some of the many "mostly stable" CyanogenMod 10 custom ROMs, what do you do? Well, pretty much every one of the most popular CM10 ROMs comes with complete, thorough instructions from the dev that created it. Even a simple search in the Motion 4G All Things Root subforum, will return a very informative guide written by Swainsmith82, all about how to flash a ROM on your phone, and even how to get the best performance out of your Motion once the ROM is up and running. You can check that guide out here: http://androidforums.com/motion-4g-all-things-root/763919-guide-rom-flashing.html

Now this is where the confusion arises. Once people achieve a beautiful setup on CM10, they apparently think to themselves "Hey, I need recovery so I can flash all these fixes and mods. I better install 2nd-init recovery now!". Well, that's not needed. When you flash just about any CM10 based ROM in this subforum, remember this one bit of information:

RECOVERY IS INCLUDED WITH THE ROM. YOU DON'T NEED TO INSTALL ANYTHING!!!

If you install 2nd-init over any of the CM10 builds YOU WILL HAVE TO UNBRICK. Plain and simple. You can try to replace the recovery you installed with the original recovery that was included in the ROM in the first place, but it's complicated, and I haven't seen a very high success rate (and the fact that you were absent-minded enough to install 2nd-init over a ROM that already included recovery, well, complicated may not be your strongest suit). So... KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. When you install a CM10 based ROM, DON'T INSTALL RECOVERY. It is a bad idea. You will receive a MorningCall security error, and will have to use the unbrick guide to get your phone back.

If you can not figure out how to access recovery, use this simple set of instructions below:

1.) Hold the power button until the power menu pops up.
2.) Tap REBOOT.
3.) Select RECOVERY if it is listed, to reboot into recovery. If RECOVERY is not listed, continue to 3a.
3a.) When you phone is rebooting, CONTINUOUSLY mash the VOLUME DOWN button, until Recovery opens up.

To reiterate: There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to re-install 2nd-init recovery over ANY CM10 based recovery in this forum. Don't do it. It's not needed, and it will result in a long, unbricking process that is not very fun.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion ;)

Thanks: Swainsmith82 for his ROM guide, 985hPaKicK for 2nd-init recovery, PlayfulGod BobZhome Johnnyl1111 and anyone else that has either ported or built any ROM for this awesome phone.

This post was extremely necessary, and a link should be included in the 'what can be flashed in recovery' post. This knowledge could save plenty of motion 4g noobs plenty of headaches, lol. Wish there was a '2 thumbs up' button, lol. Great job, man. Wanted to do it myself, but i lack the knowledge & ability to put it into words as well as this.

Upvote 0
This post was extremely necessary, and a link should be included in the 'what can be flashed in recovery' post. This knowledge could save plenty of motion 4g noobs plenty of headaches, lol. Wish there was a '2 thumbs up' button, lol. Great job, man. Wanted to do it myself, but i lack the knowledge & ability to put it into words as well as this.

headaches means you're learning tho. ;) lol

Upvote 0
Lol

I had to say uncle. I was running into trouble with my phone at moments where i couldn't afford to. I gotta say, the developers and everyone that helped out in the forums have done a kick ass job, i just can't risk phone mishaps at this point. Once i get a new phone or in the improbable event that all the issues get ironed out, I'll try again, but for the time being, I'm stock & unrooted... See y'all around!

Upvote 0
Lol

I had to say uncle. I was running into trouble with my phone at moments where i couldn't afford to. I gotta say, the developers and everyone that helped out in the forums have done a kick ass job, i just can't risk phone mishaps at this point. Once i get a new phone or in the improbable event that all the issues get ironed out, I'll try again, but for the time being, I'm stock & unrooted... See y'all around!

Dude I was the same way.. The rom was so overwhelming at first.. Just like anything else you have to keep at it to get better.. I highly doubt LeBron James was one of the best basketball players ever the first time he picked up a basketball.. ;)

Upvote 0
ive got a headache and it wont go away.... hellllllp........... to recover a bricked cell do you download to a computer then to the cell or just to cell? and none of that recovery power button stuff comes up at all. ive limited computer use right now but should be able to get mesg on google voice at 7546009605 or mhayos2002@yahoo.com i used a mod program from jrommy? to move apps to the sd card because i was getting a error saying i had no room left to DL any new apps or upgrades, even though i had 4g free still, after i rebooted my phone..... brick. everything was gone dialer, contacts, wifi, keypad, even the middle button on the phone will not work any more. HELP, i cant even get this phone again from metro and its better then anything else they have.... mark

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did you use the towelroot method? I had issues with the 2nd-init recovery using this root method, so I went back and rooted the old fashioned way through my pc. And that worked.

But I think if you install busybox after the towelroot method, that will help you. Heard that from someone else in the forum, but can't remember who.
Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones