1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows and Linux

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OMJ, Aug 3, 2010.

1. oppendroid

oppendroid Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 14, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Just an FYI, I had the exact same problems describe above.

I went from FRG01B to FRF22 (that was easy and fun!) to following root directions for 2.2 and then the problems started. Double-checked, triple-checked, verified every file and installation directory. Nada.

Checked this thread, downloaded (for almost 30 minutes) FRG22D and all is well in the world. :D

Just one question, what is the difference between FRG01B and FRG22D? I verified that I have the right build number on my phone but other than that, is there something I should be seeing?

robYn

Advertisement

2. Drucifer007

Drucifer007 Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Followed your advice and wiped the cache first and rebooted to see if it would fix it, it didn't. So I went ahead and wiped the data and it booted right on up. Now I just have to reinstall the apps that I actually used. Thanks for the help!

3. wallyman424

wallyman424 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    im gonna give this a try tonight

4. cortezjaime

cortezjaime Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Santa Ana, CA
    Had a hard time at first, but was able to get my phone back up and running.

Question - I'm trying to use wireless tether and drocap but both do not seem to be working. Any ideas.

5. wallyman424

wallyman424 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    Worked like a charm, did it in like 5 minutes w/ windows 7.

I'm going to have to do it again this week, because verizon is sending me a refurb D1 b/c my power button lost its clickyness.

6. tmcewan259

tmcewan259 Member
    None

Mar 1, 2010
    OMJ - In post 188 you mentioned doing a simple backup and then a wipe and the ability to restore data (but a pain) - how do I restore the data? Tried to root daughters phone and had to follow your directions and wiped after doing a simple restore - not happy with lose of data.

7. muab

muab Android Enthusiast
    None

May 22, 2010
    I'm not OMJ and not as smart as OMJ, but may I ask what backup method or methods you used?

I backup my data using Mybackup Pro.

8. tmcewan259

tmcewan259 Member
    None

Mar 1, 2010
    In post 188 he suggested using simple nandroid when stuck at moto eye in boot - did that. Now wanting to make sure I do the restore right?

9. muab

muab Android Enthusiast
    None

May 22, 2010
    Okay, I think we may be a little out of whack here. The nandroid backup is to restore in case something goes wrong, as I understand it. It restores you back to exactly what you had before you wiped....exactly. It is sort of a time capsule if I am not mistaken.

Now what data is missing from your phone that you wish to restore? Contacts and text messages? Or?

Unless someone else smarter than me pipes in here, I would say that if the data is gone and not saved some other way, we may need to restore your Nandroid back up, then backup the data, then (unfortunately) re-wipe/factory reset.

hopefully someone smarter then me comes along soon... :)

10. Dukeblue

Dukeblue Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Illinois
    Hey guys I'm in need of some help here. I'm not sure what exactly i did wrong but i just completed step 13 of windows install I'm on vista 64 bit by the way. And after i hit start in rsd lite my phone says now hacking your phone but once thats done instead of rebooting and saying my battery is dead it reboots takes me back to the original bootloader 2c.7c screen and says
    Battery ok
    ok to program
    Transfer mode:
    USB
    Also i have froyo 2.2 frg22d build if thats relevant.
    I'm not sure what I did exactly if anyone knows thank you.
    And sorry I used to have an eris got it rooted no prob but apparently I'm a little rusty here.

Also if i take usb out of phone then i can turn it on but once its on for about a minute it just randomly dies. I can then boot into recovery but i cant mount it to put the FRG22D Decode on the sd card becasue even though it shows a removable disk on my computer when i click on it it says theres nothing there.....i mounted through recovery mode also.

11. stephejo

stephejo Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey OMJ. Thanks for all the help from the Community.

Here's my issue. I accidentally took the OTA of FRG22D and let it install on a rooted (Universal AndRoot) stock FRG01B taht was running fine.

I lost root. Otherwise running fine.

I followed the Guide in the OP of this thread. Flashed SPRecovery, etc. Everything except that I downloaded the Odexed file (FRG22D-ODEXED.zip) from Peter Alfonso and installed it.

I wiped cache but did not do a system wipe. All my stuff is still here.

Everything looked like it installed fine, but I still do not have root.

My Info reads:
    VER 2.2
    Build FRG22D by Pete
    Baseband Ver C_01.43.01P
    Kernel Ver 2.6.32.9-g874c292android-build@apa26 #1

Can you give me any tips to regain root in FRG22D?

Thanks again!!

JHS

12. Dukeblue

Dukeblue Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Illinois
    update: Got through the entire section and successfully installed update.zip....i made a few stupid mistakes (not sure if they could be the reason of my issue or not).but my happiness was short lived when I hit reboot system now, it takes me to the M screen it goes black goes to M one more time and then goes to recovery mode every time...........not good. Any help here because I am completely out of ideas. :(

13. smokewagon

smokewagon Lurker
    None

May 5, 2010
    I've been reading up on this most of the weekend and I think I'm ready to give it a try. Here we go...

14. stephejo

stephejo Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Good luck! Usually it goes super smooth.

15. smokewagon

smokewagon Lurker
    None

May 5, 2010
    All done, just letting all of my apps reload. My wife was messing with my phone and somehow ended up doing a factory reset. Putting me back to square one made the decision much easier. Thanks to OMJ and everyone that contributed.

Now to do some backups and yet more research on ROMs.

16. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    can you still boot into recovery?

17. bilbravo

bilbravo Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    software developer
    maryland
    So I have an issue... I did the flash with the Moto flash tool (RSD Lite). One hiccup I had was that RSD Lite said "Please power the phone up manually" when I was at the dead battery screen. I let the phone sit for a while and it kept restarting and I got the screen with the dead battery icon and my red light was on. RSD Lite never updated past "100% succeeded: Please power on device manually" so I just pulled the battery as stated in the next step and went on. Phone booted to recovery fine.

I had some issues getting SD card to mount as USB Mass Storage, but once I did I put Lithium Mod as update.zip. I installed it, everything looked fine--but now when it's booting up I get the "DROID" animation (drawing the word in white text) then it swithces to the red blinking eye, then goes back to "DROID" animation... etc, etc. ... going on 10 minutes now.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    if you installed lithium mod you need to wipe data and cache. This can be done by doing a factory reset in recovery

19. bilbravo

bilbravo Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    software developer
    maryland
    I did the wipe before I did the install update.zip

Do I need to do it *after*? Would that make any difference?

edit: I did the install *AGAIN* and then did the wipe, now I get a different screen...perhaps it does make a difference. Will update shortly :)

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    sounds like your phone doesnt like lithium mod. I would mount the phone in recovery and try another rom. This http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/OEM/FRG22D-ODEXED.zip is a safe rom to start with.

21. bilbravo

bilbravo Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    software developer
    maryland
    It's working now... I just did a re-install and then wiped the data.

How do I verify I still have root? Is it safe to assume all of these ROMs have root? Do I need to change the root password?

edit:

Also another thing: lots of apps are still on my phone, such as Twidroid and a few other things. Is this because I had them backed up using ASTRO (i.e. not app2sd card, since some of these don't have that option). Does it install those automatically?

22. baloo

baloo Newbie
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Where can you get SP Recovery? The link in the OP does not work..

23. cami9273

cami9273 Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Arizona
    So I am completely new to this forum and to rooting phones in general. I followed this guide to a tee, and everything went well.......what I don't know is how do I know if I am rooted???

In the settings in about phone it says: Android Version 2.2
    Baseband Version: C_01.43.01P
    Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-g874c292
    android-build@apa26 #1
    Build Number FRG22D by Pete

Now this may sound really lame but the only reason I really wanted to root my phone is so that I could add really cool pink icons on my phone like those found in Jrummy's pink life or his new kangerade. So my questions are 1.) am I rooted?? 2.)b how do I go about putting those really cool pink icons on my phone?? Thanks in advance for any help!! BTW....OMJ fantastic guide to help us non-computer savvy people!! I was so scared, but the process was pretty painless and your guide is very well written!!!

24. gixxalicious

gixxalicious Newbie
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    child care provider
    i need serious help. it did not work for me. i still have dead battery. how do i revert back to being unrooted?? plz help. i have no idea why it didnt work this time but i do believe if someone can help revert back i will just wait for a one touch root for 2.2 thank you,

also... when i reboot it o get the dead battery, it has no home screen. it says "android system" and thats it. and then it shuts off, is i bricked?? how do i unbrick??

25. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    its not bricked. Which guide did you follow windows or linux? Can you still reboot into recovery by holding x while powering on the phone?