• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [H631/MS631] TWRP 2.8.7.0 touch recovery LG G Stylo

No worry I'll download the kdz and extract it tomorrow.
I have my recovery saved. My stylo came with 10i stock and I have the same problem with twrp. Here is my stock recovery. Oddly trying to restore it from flashify causes it to show a red triangle with an android if I boot into my stock recovery. I hope they havn't somehow blocked editing of the recovery on these new devices. Even if I use 10j kdz and do an update I get the same results so there is definitely something different about how the recovery works people said previously having to do with the new manufacturing process. Hopefully with this file you can look into it. My dev skills are trash now havn't done anything since the samsung moment android 1.0 days on SDX lol

Link HERE : http://www.filedropper.com/stockrecovery

Let me know if link doesn't work havn't used filedropper before I can share it via google drive as well if you pm me or some other metho you would like.

Reactions: Noobified
Upvote 0
I have my recovery saved. My stylo came with 10i stock and I have the same problem with twrp. Here is my stock recovery. Oddly trying to restore it from flashify causes it to show a red triangle with an android if I boot into my stock recovery. I hope they havn't somehow blocked editing of the recovery on these new devices. Even if I use 10j kdz and do an update I get the same results so there is definitely something different about how the recovery works people said previously having to do with the new manufacturing process. Hopefully with this file you can look into it. My dev skills are trash now havn't done anything since the samsung moment android 1.0 days on SDX lol

Link HERE : http://www.filedropper.com/stockrecovery

Let me know if link doesn't work havn't used filedropper before I can share it via google drive as well if you pm me or some other metho you would like.
Try this out. Instead of making a new build I just repacked the current TWRP with the dt and kernel pulled from the recovery image.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347823826

Upvote 0
Try this out. Instead of making a new build I just repacked the current TWRP with the dt and kernel pulled from the recovery image.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347823826

Worked Perfectly on my 10i.
Thank you very much.

CAM00204.jpg CAM00205.jpg CAM00206.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you.
Worked perfect for me too.
Recovered previously created backup from first 10i version twrp.
Created and backed up using new 10j recovery version.
Wiped all partisions correctly.
Factory reset properly.
Created backup of factory reset.
Restored to orignal os and data.
Zero errors.
Phone working great.
Very good job noobified.

Reactions: Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
Thank you.
Worked perfect for me too.
Recovered previously created backup from first 10i version twrp.
Created and backed up using new 10j recovery version.
Wiped all partisions correctly.
Factory reset properly.
Created backup of factory reset.
Restored to orignal os and data.
Zero errors.
Phone working great.
Very good job noobified.
When can we see sum'm from YOU.!

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
i just got the walmart family model lg g stylo. works great on straight talk(tmobile) its on 5.0.2 and rooted fine and flashed twrp recovery. BUT the touchscreen stops working when in twrp and have to do a battery pull to boot up.

EDIT

HAHAHA i found the v10i twrp recovery and now it works!!!! backing up rom now! HAHAHA thanks to those who made this possible for this phone!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello folks, a noobie over here. Okay, I have a weird scenario - I have version h631 of the phone, and rooted and then proceeded to flashify install TWRP 2.8.7.0. It installed and I performed a backup on my stock version of the phone. Okay, reboot to system and it doesn't load -- it continuously takes me back to TWRP. Now, getting desperate I downloaded Katana Rom and it was able to install. My question is why does Katana rom work and my original backup not?

At this point I'll take back my original stock phone. Do I download and install the revised TWRP10.j you shared for us and try the restore again? Or is the TWRP I installed in correct working fashion and can I somehow download a stock rom and call it a day.

Thanks guys for your help I appreciate it - Chris

Upvote 0
Hello folks, a noobie over here. Okay, I have a weird scenario - I have version h631 of the phone, and rooted and then proceeded to flashify install TWRP 2.8.7.0. It installed and I performed a backup on my stock version of the phone. Okay, reboot to system and it doesn't load -- it continuously takes me back to TWRP. Now, getting desperate I downloaded Katana Rom and it was able to install. My question is why does Katana rom work and my original backup not?

At this point I'll take back my original stock phone. Do I download and install the revised TWRP10.j you shared for us and try the restore again? Or is the TWRP I installed in correct working fashion and can I somehow download a stock rom and call it a day.

Thanks guys for your help I appreciate it - Chris
I am pretty new to this stuff as well so I hope others chime in but maybe can help. I had the same thing happen to me. When I first rooted I made a TWRP back up. Then I installed all my apps, froze some with TB and then made another back up. So about a week later I wanted to go back and tried to restore my 1st TWRP back and it didn't work and would boot back into TWRP. Then I tried restoring the 2nd back up I made and it worked fine. My point here is I guess it possible to make a "bad" back up although I have know idea what I did wrong. That said you can return to stock by flashing the KDZ file using the LG Flash Tool. Your phone will be just like the day you bought it. Of course if want to root you would have to do it over again. Hope this helps a little and some other who know more reply. Good luck
FORGOT to mention this was on a Metro PCS LGMS631 so I am not certain about the KDZ working if you are on a different variant of the phone
Also this thread may help for going back to stock for the h631 and ms631
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/rom-lg-g-stylo-h631-ms631-v10j-stock-t3211563

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu8
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, I managed to download a stock rom online and was able to flash it. This was the link I followed and did the following steps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/rom-lg-g-stylo-h631-ms631-v10j-stock-t3211563

Okay, so everything is perfect except for the fact that now I cannot connect to my computer. I have installed several different usb drivers, the lg pc suit and have no luck. Everytime I try to connect to the pc it says driver installation failed. I've tried two different pcs with the same results. Is something faulty with the version I dled? Should I try a ota update to next lolipop?

Folks, it is now working. I installed the stock rom with the updated TWRP posted above and I did a factory reset after tinkering for a couple hours and now I can connect to Pc. Perhaps I messed something up along the way. All is well, and I appreciate the help, thanks!!:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: stinger2k
Upvote 0
First of all, greetings.

I repent that this had to be the reason I finally joined the forum as I mostly stick to XDA.

Anyways, I have the T-Mobile Stylo, to which I flashed the proper TWRP through Flashify, no problems there, everything working as it is supposed to. However I tried to flash Katana ROM heeding the instructions mind you, only to end up in an infinite boot loop with the "Secure Boot Error! Error Code: 1003". Ergo I cannot boot into the system, obviously, nor can I boot back in to TWRP in order to flash my previous backup.
Additionally, I seem to also be unable to even access download mode with the key/USB combo, as I am only greeted by the same error message, and code.
I DID have OEM unlock on Dev Options enabled previously, for the record.

I saw the posts @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/read-trying-to-root-kdz-files-kdz-tmo-t3152531 that list the kdz files for the TMo variant, but I am too much of a bloody noob with this device that I am not sure which file to use(without mentioning that the first link is dead), or even what procedure I Could use to 'flash' these files; that adding to the fact that I am stuck in the Secure Boot Error loop and none of the USB interfaces seem to be overtly accessible...

PLEASE... THIS IS AN SOS

Upvote 0
Open your phone and look under the battery, it should tell you the firmware your phone came with which is a good place to start. Then start reading everything about the kdz unbricking method before continuing. Put your battery back in your phone and let it charge 100% while you read the unbricking instructions a few more times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones