• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Had to Go to the Doctor

stef7

Android Expert
Dec 29, 2010
The thread on Tweaks and fixes is closed. Thought I would post a summary here relevant to resurrecting a TP that wouldn't boot as someone else may be late to the party.

The TPs are excellent devices. Purchased a TP 16GB w/WiFi only model that was stuck on the white triangle www.palm.com/ROM screen.

I suspected I had to run WebOS Doctor because the file structure of the internal storage was probably corrupt.

1). I acquired WebOS Doctor from here (I downloaded the 3.0.5 .JAR file for my model)
WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

2). I ran WebOS Doctor and used this for general reference:
How to use the webOS Doctor on the TouchPad - HP Support Forum - 2186473

3). I ran up against the restore process failing to proceed past 12%. I read up on the posts here and performed the command:
dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media
inside of a Novaterm session.
WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!! - webOS Nation Forums

4). I installed the Novacom drivers from information here, but also, I used this to install CM:
How to install Android 4.0 or later on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod) - Liliputing

Enjoy.

Thanks. Oh, I guess I goofed then. :) Was just trying to lay down a few crumbs for someone else coming by here looking for help. It's bad when you give the wrong or incomplete advice.

My bad.

Hey, I was going to format the whole file system, but luckily there weren't too many errors... Would that have been dangerous?

I guess I didn't really know what to do first. I suppose that information is available here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hey, between the three of us, it's all good. :)

Format the whole file system how? It could be dangerous depending on how you do it.

The fact that the TouchPad would not boot WebOS indicated the need for the Doctor. If the TP still had Android on it is probably why it failed at 12%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones