• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Handcent Notification Issue

Babrook

Lurker
May 15, 2011
Hello,

I recently got Handcent as the Inspire's texting interface was just atrocious. I have it set as my primary sms, the notifications on the stock sms is turned off. The issue is that Handcent will not play notification sounds when the stock notifications are turned off - it vibrates as I set it to inside Handcent, but no sounds. When I press 'TEST Notification' inside Handcent, the sound plays fine.

Now, I could just turn the notifications for the stock sms on, and this fixes the issue, HOWEVER, then it pops up in the status bar that I have a text, who its from, etc, which is fine, but since when I use Handcent I primarily use it through the popup/quick reply feature, the default doesn't seem to register I've seen the text and it still appears as though it's unread despite the fact that I have read it.

If either of these problems can be remedied, I should be a happy camper. Thanks in advance.

When you disabled the stock notifications did you just uncheck received notifications (other options are grayed out but still checked) or did you uncheck everything under receive messages?

I'm not sure if that's helpful but mine is still checked in just unchecked received notifications

I unchecked 'Received Notifications', graying everything under it out. I just tried leaving that checked, by unchecking everything under it (vibration, sound, etc).

The result: Upon receiving a text, it still does not make any sounds, and leaves a 'new messages' notification even after I read the texts in Handcent.

I wish I was able to enable sound notifications, but not the status bar update (or, have the status bar update communicate with handcent, even better)>

Upvote 0
I'm sorry I think I mixed up what I was saying I left sound checked and then unchecked received notifications.

I have handcent on 2 inspires and haven't run into this issue. Have you tried uninstalling it and then redownload it?

Leaving it checked but recieved notifications unchecked leaves the same issue.

I'll attempt a reinstall.

Fixed itself after 2 reinstalls. Thanks a bundle.

Upvote 0
I, too, find notifications confusing -- STILL -- but here is something that might help you.

1. The phone has "default notifications"
2. Each messaging app has its own notifications
3. Each email app has its own notifications
4. Interactions with contacts (people) might have their own notifications separate from the email or messaging sounds as a feature of your address book app.
5. "notifications" are different from "alarms" which are different still from "ringtones" -- but any audio can be used in any role.

I was laid-up after a recent injury and spent some time playing with notificatioins. While I applaud the flexibility, the scattered access to settings makes phone configuration tough and app changes confusing.

Good luck,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones