• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS No Notification

atips1

Lurker
May 26, 2011
Hi, I'm having a problem with Handcent SMS. Sometimes I receive text messages, and not a notification. I'll sit there like an idiot for 15 minutes waiting for someone to text me back, and when I go into Handcent to text them again, it shows that I received a new message from them. It doesn't always happen, sometimes I get notified, sometimes I don't. I'm not quite sure if it happens with all contacts, or just one, but I know for sure that it happens often with one. I'm on a Motorola Droid running Liquid Gingerbread 1.9 and Chevy's Gingerbread kernel. I'm not sure if it's a problem with Handcent, my phone, my ROM, or my kernel, but I've been Googling hard to try and solve this, but every time I've found somebody with the same problem, it's unresolved. I'm also going to email the developers of Handcent to see if they can help, but I figured I'd post here as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Edit: During the time I was writing this I received a text from a different contact and was not notified.

From what you have said atips1, it seems less likely to be a problem with Handcent and more likely to be a problem with your customised ROM or kernel.

You could try uninstalling Handcent and seeing if the stock messaging app works OK.

Alternatively, you could flash the stock ROM and kernel for your device and see if that works.

Might help you narrow it down a bit. Have you checked the customised ROM and kernel developers sites to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

Upvote 0
I'm getting the same issue..it's frustrating me to no end...I've got the Droid X, stock OS 2.3.3, and Handcent has just stopped notifying me I've got texts. All my notifications are correctly set and nothing has changed, however I get no alert in the notification bar, by sound, vibration OR popup that I've gotten a new message. I can only see it when I open the app itself for the message list.

Tried clearing cache and even uninstalling the whole app...very frustrating.

Upvote 0
I didn't know it was optimized for the Xoom either, good thing I have a Droid. I tried GoSMS and didn't like it, same thing with ChompSMS. Actually, I had a problem with GoSMS where it didn't save my messages.

I tried all three...aside from chomp being the slowest I don't see a huge difference between them, or what is so great about them

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. I have Call Announcer installed. When I changed a setting stopping Handcent SMS from being the default messaging app Call Announcer started speaking when a new text arrived. Until I changed this setting it remained silent. If it was not for Call Announcer I would not know when a new text arrived. Surely the software company must be aware of this problem. I like Handcent SMS and find this issue very annoying. Has anybody got a fix for this? :mad:

Have e-mailed Handcent the link for this thread. Hopefully they will have a fix.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having a problem with Handcent SMS. Sometimes I receive text messages, and not a notification. I'll sit there like an idiot for 15 minutes waiting for someone to text me back, and when I go into Handcent to text them again, it shows that I received a new message from them. It doesn't always happen, sometimes I get notified, sometimes I don't. I'm not quite sure if it happens with all contacts, or just one, but I know for sure that it happens often with one. I'm on a Motorola Droid running Liquid Gingerbread 1.9 and Chevy's Gingerbread kernel. I'm not sure if it's a problem with Handcent, my phone, my ROM, or my kernel, but I've been Googling hard to try and solve this, but every time I've found somebody with the same problem, it's unresolved. I'm also going to email the developers of Handcent to see if they can help, but I figured I'd post here as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Edit: During the time I was writing this I received a text from a different contact and was not notified.

I was having this exact same problem and was ready to chuck my phone into the ocean. I uninstalled handcent seven times with no luck. What did work for me was uninstalling all other messaging programs on my phone. Now I only have handcent and it works perfectly fine. I hope this helps you.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I have the same issue as the OP. Same phone, same rom. I was searching for a fix and ran across this thread. For a second I thought it was the rom because we both have a Droid and both have Liquid. Too much of a coincidence. But then after further reading it seems others are having the same issue. Even those with different phones. I love Handcent. I'd hate to have to stop using it.

The only workaround I've found so far is to have the default messaging app on in additon to Handcent and I use its notifications to signal me that I have a new message.

Upvote 0
I was having this exact same problem and was ready to chuck my phone into the ocean. I uninstalled handcent seven times with no luck. What did work for me was uninstalling all other messaging programs on my phone. Now I only have handcent and it works perfectly fine. I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the advice, this also was the only fix I have found to work.

My steps
Disabled AT&T's messaging and the OEM, and uninstalled all other messasing apps. Restarted the phone and installed Handscent now it seems to be working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones