• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent vs Chomp SMS vs Stock

which messaging app

• Handcent

Votes: 87 58.8%
  • Chomp SMS

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • Stock

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
Do either of these apps have the ability to change the time stamp on messages? I keep the clock on my phone a few minutes fast, and it causes messages to display out of the order they are received as incoming messages use the time stamp from the phone they were sent from.

If I write a friend, the response shows as coming before I sent the original message. It's very annoying.

EDIT: I just tried Chomp, Go, and Handcent. Only Handcent was able to fix the issue, and it was automatically done.

Upvote 0
My preference is Handcent, but my phone disagrees. Using an older model, and it doesn't like having to load up Handcent.

Chomp has ads, and my phone runs it as slow as Handcent.

GO has the potential to be decent. It's still a little laggy on my phone, but not as bad as the other two. The biggest problem is that it's NOT "fully" customizable... the color coding for the bubbles is set up wrong, and the dev has been unresponsive to complaints regarding that.

So for me, it's stock with SMS Popup. I hate that I can't customize it, but at least it doesn't pretend that you can, and it's fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones