• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has anyone had their Note 3's "digitizer" go bad yet?

ShanDroyd

Jun 11, 2011
( rooted, de-bloated, running NOVA launcher and using Swift-Key )
Yesterday my screen started going nuts right after I powered on my phone from an over night charge. I could wake up the screen and let it sit there untouched, and the screens would start scrolling and my app drawer would randomly pop open.
Phone was basically unusable. I tried to power it off, but could not press the power off or reboot option on the screen. I pulled the battery, waited, then put it back in and restarted.
Phone seemed more stable, so I checked to make sure all air gestures, and smart screens were off. they were all off.
I proceeded to send a text to a friend, and while I was typing, random apps started to open.
This problem happened randomly throughout the day, along with the screen jumps. Finally I got fed up and did a hard reset / factory restore. I hooked it up to Kies-3 and did a recovery, losing root. After spending time re-installing all my apps, and doing some customizing, the phone seemed ok for a short time.
I did not re-root, or put custom launchers or keyboards on it.

It did not take long for it to start going nuts again...

This morning I took it into Big-Red (Verizon) and told them about the problem. Right away they tried blaming it on a custom launcher or keyboard. I showed them there was nothing custom ( and no KNOX sensors tripped ) and said I just did a factory reset...

Of course they tore it apart trying to find any reason to tell me to go "F-my self, but found no problems physically...
Then they did an other factory reset, and problems started right away, again...

I told them that based on my research, the "digitizer" was going bad, and this is not uncommon in the smart phone world.
Verizon rep's response: "Uh... the what?"

They did not want to give me a replacement even though the phone was only about 7 months old...
They were trying to get me to buy a new phone on their "Edge" plan...
I asked if that meant they would terminate my current contract with no fees, and trade in my current phone.
They said they were not going to terminate the contract, and could not give me a trade in due to it being clearly defective...

So I asked, "So you want me to basically pay for 2 lines of service, for nearly 2 years, and then also pay an additional $30.00 a month for the Edge plan?"

Verizon rep, " Uhh.. yeah..."
I just laughed at him.
I demanded a replacement, and I am supposed to receive a "Refurb" in a few days...

I went through the exact same scenario last month when the micro usb/charging socket on my wife's phone GS3, while in warranty.

Then they proceed to tell us that we should have purchased the extended service plan on the phones...
Phones were not damaged... they were defective, while in the manufacturers warranty. Even if we had the service plan, they just would have had Samsung make good on the warranty, and then we would have had to pay a deductible...

What a Fu**ing joke...!!!

( rooted, de-bloated, running NOVA launcher and using Swift-Key )
Yesterday my screen started going nuts right after I powered on my phone from an over night charge. I could wake up the screen and let it sit there untouched, and the screens would start scrolling and my app drawer would randomly pop open.
Phone was basically unusable. I tried to power it off, but could not press the power off or reboot option on the screen. I pulled the battery, waited, then put it back in and restarted.
Phone seemed more stable, so I checked to make sure all air gestures, and smart screens were off. they were all off.
I proceeded to send a text to a friend, and while I was typing, random apps started to open.
This problem happened randomly throughout the day, along with the screen jumps. Finally I got fed up and did a hard reset / factory restore. I hooked it up to Kies-3 and did a recovery, losing root. After spending time re-installing all my apps, and doing some customizing, the phone seemed ok for a short time.
I did not re-root, or put custom launchers or keyboards on it.

It did not take long for it to start going nuts again...

This morning I took it into Big-Red (Verizon) and told them about the problem. Right away they tried blaming it on a custom launcher or keyboard. I showed them there was nothing custom ( and no KNOX sensors tripped ) and said I just did a factory reset...

Of course they tore it apart trying to find any reason to tell me to go "F-my self, but found no problems physically...
Then they did an other factory reset, and problems started right away, again...

I told them that based on my research, the "digitizer" was going bad, and this is not uncommon in the smart phone world.
Verizon rep's response: "Uh... the what?"

They did not want to give me a replacement even though the phone was only about 7 months old...
They were trying to get me to buy a new phone on their "Edge" plan...
I asked if that meant they would terminate my current contract with no fees, and trade in my current phone.
They said they were not going to terminate the contract, and could not give me a trade in due to it being clearly defective...

So I asked, "So you want me to basically pay for 2 lines of service, for nearly 2 years, and then also pay an additional $30.00 a month for the Edge plan?"

Verizon rep, " Uhh.. yeah..."
I just laughed at him.
I demanded a replacement, and I am supposed to receive a "Refurb" in a few days...

I went through the exact same scenario last month when the micro usb/charging socket on my wife's phone GS3, while in warranty.

Then they proceed to tell us that we should have purchased the extended service plan on the phones...
Phones were not damaged... they were defective, while in the manufacturers warranty. Even if we had the service plan, they just would have had Samsung make good on the warranty, and then we would have had to pay a deductible...

What a Fu**ing joke...!!!

It sounds like you've got some money due to arrive to you shortly if you live in USA and a customer service agent told you to f yourself.

On topic I don't think I've seen anyone with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with any screen defects or color blur etc. The only phone that comes to mind is the Oppo phone which has something like that on some of their phone's.

Upvote 0
First two n3 phones I bought had screen defects. First one had a black mark in camera mode. Second phone's screen would turn "digitized blue". All within a week.

4 out 7 galaxy note phones I have bought were defective.

Purchased from socal sprint store.

Reminds me of some horror that occurred with my friend & her iPhone, she ended up sending 4 back and was extremely frustrated at it all and we could tell she just wanted to give it all up.

She has one now but she posted a recent Keek with a sad look on her face detailing how she can't even plug the cable into her Apple computer as nothing happens, so she can't upload videos to YouTube or anything.

Very sad.

Upvote 0
im having problems with my phone screen lifting in the left top corner and its causing my digitizer to act funny i dont know what to do to fix it its doing nearly the same as what your saying but when i text it selects a bunch of other letters or the same one a bunch of times it works fine with the s-pen tho, any ideas on how to fix it, its not cracked or anything and its not been dropped. idk what i can do i thought about trying to glue it back down becuase if i squeeze where its lifting at it works a little better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones