• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone received the kitkat update OTA yet?

Quickoffice has always been there, it's Google's preferred app for handling office-type documents so can hardly be called "bloatware".
Thanks for your opinion, but Quickoffice has not "always been there." My wife and I have identical Nexus 7s, except mine received the 4.4 update and hers is still on 4.3. Her tablet is not rooted, the app is not disabled, and it's not hidden from the app drawer

Upvote 0
No ART, no GEL, and no transparent bars. Feels like laggy 4.2 still. What's the point? I want to kiss Dalvik goodbye but so far I only got ART on my phone, not my 7 or 10.

Still glad that eye-straining 'electric blue' theme is finally gone for good.

GEL is available by installing an app, ART is available by installing a custom ROM

There's a reason it wasn't included in the OTA, its not quite ready for prime time

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I was able to take the OTA update (from previous 4.4) with CWM Recovery and rooted. After I had to re-root and reinstall custom recovery.

I had same problems. Updated to 4.4 Lost root, unable to restore because CWM recovery would not work, tried to re root, but crashed, ended up doing a factory reset, before downloading and flashing 4.3 before I could restore.

Upvote 0
Updated this morning, tablet stuck on finishing boot. I was able to restart, tablet stuck on dots thing. reboot and holding volume down and power. try recovery and droid dude on his back with triangle above chest. In warranty ASUS RMA, oh boy!

The android lying on its back with the triangle is the stock recovery. To access the menu, you have to press volume up + power.

Upvote 0
Those are not boat ware. That's for their cloud printing capabilities in Kitkat.
Sorry, but you are misinformed. It's true that QuickOffice provides in-app access to cloud printing, but that is because KitKat 4.4 has integrated cloud print into the OS. It works quite nicely with or without QuickOffice.

"boat ware" :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones