• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have You Every Met A Celebrity Or Someone Famous?

AugieTN

Extreme Android User
Dec 9, 2022
Illinois Home & Tennessee RV Home
Have you ever met a celebrity or someone famous?

I've met three

I met Nick Bockwinkel at a Gas Station. He was a famous Professional Wrestler many years ago

Bill Clinton approached me downtown and told me he was running for the Democratic nomination for President. He was still the Governor of Arkansas

I was boarding an Air France plane in France. The line was not moving due to a beverage being spilled. I was standing in the first class section. I looked down and Dennis Quaid was sitting next to me. I started talking to him and he was real nice guy.

Last edited:
The only celeb I've met was Dorothy McGuire of the group The McGuire Sisters. I was visiting my oldest daughter in the Phoenix area and she and her husband took us out to eat at Pasta Brioni Italian restaurant. My son-in-law pointed Dorothy out to me and said she was a celeb that frequented the establishment. After we had finished eating, I stepped out the back door that was close to where we were seated to have a smoke. Dorothy and her husband or driver stepped out and he went to get their vehicle. She said she enjoyed the aroma of my tobacco. I told her I was a fan of her music. She was surprised and I explained that I enjoyed the music of her time. We made small talk until her ride came to the door. Her parting words were you've made me happy that our music still has an audience.

Upvote 0
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy, and you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down.

gny3.jpg

gny2.jpg

Upvote 0
I've met a few Nobel laureats. I've very briefly met Helen Sharman (first British astronaut), Duff McKagen (Guns 'N' Roses bassist - seemed a nice guy), bumped into a few senior British politicians when I was spending more time in London (my local MP has had a few Cabinet posts, but I've literally never seen him in the constituency he's supposedly represented for more than a decade).

There are a fair number of premier league football players live not far from me, so I might be passing them any time I'm in the village. But as I don't follow sport at all I'd never recognise any of them.

Upvote 0
i met Bobby Flay on his grand opening for his Mesa Grill restaurant inside Caesar's Palace in Vegas. he was very nice. i actually did not know that it was his grand opening when we went there. he actually made rounds to all of the tables at the restaurant. it was the meeting that made me go to culinary school.

Upvote 0
Back in 1999 or 2000, George W. Bush attended the local Labor Day parade. While other candidates rode in the parade, Bush walked (along with he's security). We were sitting on the tailgate of my old truck and he walked up to us, introduced himself and told us that he was running for president.
Don't think that they've had anyone else, running for president, since.

Upvote 0
Ive "met" and spent time with quite a few people as a "professional" driver in London since 1989 ish, but only on a service level and not in recent years.

So I'm in a different position to living in big or small towns in the US.

I keep a list on my note app and won't bore anyone, but for me personally it's interesting how life has a habit of creating tenuous links between someone like me growing up in a boring small Irish city with only Irish TV channels, who you looked up to, what TV you watched or cinema movies and who you suddenly come across decades later.

Worst, most awkward feeling days but not due to the person themselves :

*Alan Alda and Spike Miiligan big UK comedic star / writer / legend )

*As a teenager we had national newspapers that showed British television listing's available only in Dublin and the East Coast but not in my town so I always wondered what M*A*S*H was about.

Some great days :

prelude to one : We had three major cinemas in Cork along a wide meandering boulevard and I remember looking at the enormous signage outside the Savoy Cinema for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly which I was too young to see.

Mid Nineties I spent a day with Eli Wallach in my front seat with his wife and British friend in the back. Terrific, humble quiet guy who told me he likes working too much to retire.

Emerson Fittipaldi from Brazil was a childhood hero and I drove him with his 3 year old and new wife to Goodwood on the South Coast in 2010 from the airport.

I'm walking past an old streeet regularly recently and I remembered taking Darth Vadar on short trips.

That reminded me I briefly drove Gollum from the premiere of the third Lord of the Rings. Never saw the movies for at least 8 years and never understood the connection between the actor and what you saw on screen until he recreated his movements and voice on the Graham Norton chat show about 5 years ago.

Upvote 0
i almost forgot about this. i got to meet Rodney Dangerfield when i was 10 years old. at the time i was in a swim club called the Industry Hills swim team. the place where we swam at was famous for its scene in the movie Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield. majority of the diving scenes and locker room scenes was done at where i practiced at. i got to see parts of the shot where Rodney does the "triple lindy". after the scene was done, he came and met with all of kids that were on the team including me. i got to shake his hand.

here is the scene:

Upvote 0
i almost forgot about this. i got to meet Rodney Dangerfield when i was 10 years old. at the time i was in a swim club called the Industry Hills swim team. the place where we swam at was famous for its scene in the movie Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield. majority of the diving scenes and locker room scenes was done at where i practiced at. i got to see parts of the shot where Rodney does the "triple lindy". after the scene was done, he came and met with all of kids that were on the team including me. i got to shake his hand.

here is the scene:
This is just too cool. I watch this movie at least once every 2 weeks still. Did you get to meet the girl from the shower scene from the sorority house :eek:

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
My sons mom's dad's cousin was a NFL Football Player by the name of Ernie Holmes, he used to play for the Steeler during the " Iron Curtain " days when Terry Bradshaw was QB....... He used to come to Thanksgiving dinner and her mom would have to cook a whole Turkey for him alone....... i remember one time we got kicked out of an all you can eat Buffet lol and at that time he was about 600 pounds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones