• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Having some trouble with ADT

Hi,

I'm following the instructions on installing the Android SDK and ADT from the ebook "Hello, Android" by Ed Burnette. Everything seems to have gone fine up until the point where I select "File -> New -> Project".

Attachment "sdk.jpg" shows which packages are installed.
Attachment "eclipse1.jpg" is "Help -> Install new software" in eclipse.
Attachment "eclipse2.jpg" is "What is already installed" from the previous window.

My impression is that everything is installed correctly. If I reload Eclipse now and select "File -> New -> Project" android doesn't appear amongst the options. Also if I go to "Window -> Preferences" there is no mention of android.

Any assistance would be great. I'm normally a notepad / gedit coder, so I don't have too much experience with eclipse but it shouldn't be this hard to get started.

Thanks,
g1

Attachments

• sdk.jpg
    sdk.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 38
  • eclipse1.jpg
    eclipse1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 32
  • eclipse2.jpg
    eclipse2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 28
It looks to me like Eclipse is not downloading/installing everything it needs for ADT. It states that there are no new updates for ADT however there is no mention of Android amongst any of the preference settings (which to me would suggest that ADT is not installed).

I had a go at installing Android SDK and ADT for eclipse on another compter I have (Ubuntu). Also didn't work but for a different reason. Installed the Android SDK no problem. Added the repository "http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/" to eclipse. It suggested that I installed "Android Dalvik Debug Monitor Service" and "Android Developer Tools". I checked both. Clicked on next and eclipse seems to freeze.

IMO configuring IDE's is often more complicated than actually writing an app :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones