• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Having trouble (understanding) SetCPU & overclocking

Hi folks,

I went completely bonkers this evening. Got tired of waiting for the OTA Froyo update, and did the manual update.

Then I rooted it.

Then I installed WiFi tethering.

Then I copied a ChevyNo1 UVA kernel onto it.

So far everything seems to work and I feel like I am living rather dangerously.

Now I have SetCPU, but I can't seem to make it go above 600 max. What am I missing. Sacrifice a goat at midnight?

I think I'm kind of ahead of myself, but I really want to get overclocking working, and I don't understand what I need to do. Did loading the new kernel help, or hurt? What am I missing in SetCPU?

Where's the magic 1100MHz happy switch?

Thanks.

I'm assuming you have the superuser app on the phone also (should be included with any rooted rom, but not sure about 'stock rooted')

When you open setCPU, press the menu button and choose Device Selection, and choose autodetect speeds. Then you should be able to move the slider up to whatever speed your kernel is. If you don't give setCPU superuser permissions, you can't do anything.

Reactions: Bandersnoot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones