• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HDMI freezes phone

Maybe under Settings -> Display -> Display resolution to an explicit 720p or 480p?

I believe the default is automatic - but if there's a handshake issue with the TV (actually a known and not rare HDMI issue, one reason the HDMI spec keeps advancing) then maybe that's causing the phone to go nuts.

Also - not all HDTVs accept 480p over HDMI, so for those models, the auto choice is out, 720p is in.

So - temper this idea against the particular TV's capabilities.

No guarantees - just a suggestion.

PS to reddaltoids - Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: buMitch333
Upvote 0
Maybe under Settings -> Display -> Display resolution to an explicit 720p or 480p?

I believe the default is automatic - but if there's a handshake issue with the TV (actually a known and not rare HDMI issue, one reason the HDMI spec keeps advancing) then maybe that's causing the phone to go nuts.

Also - not all HDTVs accept 480p over HDMI, so for those models, the auto choice is out, 720p is in.

So - temper this idea against the particular TV's capabilities.

No guarantees - just a suggestion.

PS to reddaltoids - Welcome to the forum!
The thing is, it happens when I plug the cable in. No matter if it is plugged into a tv or not.

Upvote 0
The thing is, it happens when I plug the cable in. No matter if it is plugged into a tv or not.

Call out the Uh-Oh Squad, compadre.

I could be WAY wrong - but - I'd get a good magnifying glass and a another set of cooperative hands with a good flashlight and I'd do my best to look into that connector socket on your phone.

You're wanting to see if any of those tiny wires have jumped ever so slightly from their tracks and might be crossing over and shorting out when the cable's plugged in. (Can you tell I've had that happen?;))

Also - kindly post back if you're already in an app using HDMI, or at the desktop when that freeze happens.

Also - just to round out the info - are you on auto resolution?

Finally - if one of you with this problem wants to guinea pig if this will work - the ever-popular - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Honestly - I can't see that helping - but - there is a software component to auto-sensing, so... ya know.

And finally - I know they don't grow on trees - but maybe helpful to have those with and without working HDMI on this issue to post their cable lengths.

So far as how it SHOULD work - that shouldn't matter one iota where we're talking about just plugging one end in only - no length-specific timing reflections regarding handshaking SHOULD be at play.

I'm just putting out a call for all data so we can track this bad boy down and put an end to the mystery.

Upvote 0
Also - kindly post back if you're already in an app using HDMI, or at the desktop when that freeze happens.

Also - just to round out the info - are you on auto resolution?

Finally - if one of you with this problem wants to guinea pig if this will work - the ever-popular - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Honestly - I can't see that helping - but - there is a software component to auto-sensing, so... ya know.

And finally - I know they don't grow on trees - but maybe helpful to have those with and without working HDMI on this issue to post their cable lengths.

So far as how it SHOULD work - that shouldn't matter one iota where we're talking about just plugging one end in only - no length-specific timing reflections regarding handshaking SHOULD be at play.

I'm just putting out a call for all data so we can track this bad boy down and put an end to the mystery.

I've been trying all things to see if one would work or not. I have tried with the cable in and out of tv. In the app both pluged into tv and not, and out off app same way.

I also tried all three resolutions like you had mentioned before, with all the same affect. Maybe one day I will be able to get down to a sprint store to see if there is a short somewhere in the connector. Too bad it is more than 25 miles away and in th wrong direction

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones