• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HDMI: issue / How to disable?

tohvanah

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Issue
After moderate H2O damage, my Droid X2 now always believes HDMI is plugged in. This has few negative impacts on my user experience. One big exception is that I can't play YouTube videos, nor can I play media audio files over the speaker.​

Solutions(?!)
  • Plug and unplug a HDMI cord (didn't have any effect)
  • Turn off HDMI (how?)
  • Disable HDMI (at boot?)

I've been searching for information on HDMI, the kernel, modules, etc. But I haven't found anything of use yet. Is there a way to simply unload or block a HDMI kernel module? I'm new to Android, but have some experience with Linux, etc.

The device is an X2, rooted, running Eclipse ROM. The damage was done while running unrooted stock everything.

since the problem was there before I flashed to the current ROM, I tried a couple factory resets, and re-flashing the stock ROM...all to no avail.

It does seem to be hardware based. I have hardware repair experience with iPhones, but it's never fun to take these devices apart...and most likely the entire hdmi component is integrated onto the main board?

Upvote 0
Success! Thanks for the help. (Scur & Raw Dodge)

I downloaded AntTek App Manager, froze "com.motorola.android.mirrorservice" and Webtop ("com.android.portal"). Upon freezing Webtop, I was stuck in a "force quit" dialog loop, but managed to reset.

Now no HDMI icon in status, and YouTube plays as it should. And the best: the camera app now shows the live viewfinder! (I had to take pictures "blind")

If I wanted to actually connect HDMI some time, I guess I could just unfreeze one or both...

Reactions: Scur
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones