• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Headphone connection design issue?

john_g

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2010
London, UK
On a few occasions, I've noticed a problem with the headphone connection on my HD and I'm wondering whether other people have experienced it too? - I do remember someone talking about hearing crackling after having used their phones for a while.

Basically the issue is this: I never have a problem when I first connect my phones (Sennheiser CX 550 Style II) but sometimes, after listening for a while, I start getting a crackling if I rotate the connector in the phone's socket. Worse than this, I have noticed that the "Wired headset connected" status icon can switch to "Wired microphone headset connected" and the music player (and Google Listen) start changing the track being played, exactly as if the controls on the supplied phones were connected and being randomly pressed.

I have ensured that the earphone's connector is clean although I've not tried introducing any contact cleaner to the phone's socket. But I think that wouldn't solve the problem because, as I say the issue only appears after a period of use. As an electronics design engineer, I suspect that a DC potential is slowly building up (perhaps to detect/power the inline controls on the supplied phones?) and this leads to the crackling noise. Then, if I'm right, the random noise can sometimes signal to the phone that a wired microphone headset is connected and, as a result of that and the random noise, simulated button presses occur.

On the other hand, maybe it's just a one-off fault!

But, if anyone else has experienced anything similar, it would be great to know before I contact HTC.

Many thanks,

John

Hi John. Im having the very same problem as you. I go running and listen to podcasts as I go. After around 15 to 20 minutes I get the same problem. I just posted this on another forum looking for help.

I go running with my HTC Desire HD and listen to podcasts as I run. I use wired headphones mainly and this is proving problematic. Over the last few weeks I have had some issues . After around 15 minutes there is a crackling noise usually in the right ear. Then the podcasts either fast forward themselves, skip tracks, move to other podcasts or try and telephone someone! I also notice that on the phone the icon changes to one with a mike on which the headphones are not. This does not happen with Bluetooth headphones but they can loose signal too so I prefer to use wired headphones. I have tried the following to try and rectify the problem.

1. I bought new headphones
2. Soft reset
3. Disabled Bluetooth
4. Changed the software that I play the podcasts on

Nothing has helped so far. Is it a problem with the headphone jack?
Can someone please help. Its getting annoying to say the least.
Thank You, Uzi.

Its driving me mad and is spoiling my runs!!
Any help would be appreciated. Could it be the 2 sets of headphones are faulty? or would a hard reset help?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
:mad:
Hi John. Tried it Today while out running but I still have the problem. Maybe helped a little!
I have also got bluetooth headphones so I guess I will have to go back to them.
I have also contacted htc about the problem. There seems to be a lot of others with this issue.
Hope it works for you.
Regards, Uzi.

Upvote 0
Ok, after a fair bit of use, I've come to the conclusion that Headset Blocker is doing what it's designed to do - stopping the phone from thinking that imaginary headset control buttons have been pressed. What it doesn't seem able to do is stop the crackling, which makes sense if this is being caused by a hardware design problem that allows a DC offset to build up across the phone terminals.

Upvote 0
:mad:I too still have the problem. I have been expermemting with switching the following off to see if that helps. WiFi, GPS and telephone network. I plan to try and use it in air-plane mode next to see if that works. Not ideal i know but no fecker phones me anyway! HaHa. Its only if I get stuck that I have the phone.
HTC have also said someone will phone me in a few days to discuss the problem.
Maybe be a hardreset would work but that will be my last option.
Regards, Uzi.

Upvote 0
I've done a bit of experimenting...

I'm now running the latest firmware (1.72.403.3) and the problem still exists.

I've cut the ear-pieces off the original HTC-supplied phones and replaced them with an inline 3.5mm stereo socket so I can use my Sennhaiser phones whilst retaining the inline controls and microphone. It was a slightly fiddly job - not complicated but probably not for a novice - but I'm pleased with the results. The inline controls are useful and the random switching I described above has completely disappeared, thereby vindicating, I believe, my original diagnosis of the problem.

Last night I dug out some old active speakers with a 3.5mm input and connected these up to my Desire HD. Result? Far, far better sound than I've had from the HD's own speaker, but the phantom switching problems came back.

I think the evidence is pretty conclusive and, I suspect, an examination of the output circuit design would very quickly reveal the reasons for this problem. However, I also suspect it would show that there isn't a software solution for what is a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
;) Hi John. Thanks for your work and passing on of information. I did a hard reset and tested the phone out yesterday on a run. Seems to have worked so far but im not sure it will last!

I found an adaptor which would be similar to what you made.

HTC HS U350 3.5mm Stereo Headset

HTC HS U350 3.5mm Stereo Headset - Orange Accessories

My next option is to buy the above. Hopefully will not need to.
Let us know if you find any more info please.

Regards, Uzi.:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones