• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Health Foods

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I've never been one that tried to eat healthy and certainly never consumed any health food supplement. In my attempt to maintain a very low sodium diet I found that I inadvertently was consuming far too few proteins. I even became weak with the lack of proteins. I have found a couple of products that I've found that are high in protein without being high in carbs, sugars, or sodium. My nightly snack has now become OIKOS Triple Zero Vanilla Blended Greek Yogurt. It has zero added sugar or artificial sweeteners and zero fat. It contains 15g of protein for a 5.3oz serving. Ninety calories and 7g of carbs per serving with only 55mg of sodium. They have two or three fruit flavored versions but I prefer the vanilla. The other product is a protein shake called OWYN 32 (Only what you need) I'm drinking the Pro Elite chocolate version. It contains 32g of protein in a 11.15oz serving. It is 100% plant based and contains no net carbs or sugars. It does contain 200 calories and 325mg of sodium. The best part about this product is it tastes good and isn't chalky of gritty. It's just a smooth healthy shake that's loaded with protein.

I know there are a list of super healthy foods that we all should eat more of. But these are two supplement foods to help out. I'm interested in trying more supplements if you have something to recommend.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
You post a lot of meats you make in, "Any Time Is Grillin Time". I'm surprised you weren't getting enough protein.

I don't have any recommendations, but you are certainly on top of it reading all the labels.
I backed off my meat consumption. Some because of the sodium and some because beef has tasted bad since my heart attack. I cut back so severely that I was eating less than 40g of protein a day. I should be ingesting at least 100g a day. I was thrilled when I could eat the brisket I smoked today.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I have been drinking athletic green's AG1 for a couple of years now. It has a butt load of supplements like vitamins, pre and pro-biotics, and other nutrients. I just drink it before my morning begins. I like to add it with some orange juice. But it is quite good on its own with just some water. I like it cuz it helps with digestion and gives me a boost to get thru the day.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Ostrich eggs are a super health food. They are quite similar to chicken eggs but contain more healthy fats and less sodium. I'd love to try an ostrich egg sometime, however they are huge. They contain about the same amount of mass as two dozen regular eggs which make an egg out of the personal consumption options. It crossed my mind today and I thought what better time to try an ostrich egg then when the family is together to see the eclipse in April. I checked and there isn't a local market selling the eggs. I can order one from NM and hope to receive it and then transport it to Oklahoma without having an accident with the egg. The egg from Tucumcari is a seven pounder with an 18" circumference measured longwise. It costs ninety five dollars plus shipping. It would be a fun breakfast item but too expensive for the transport gamble. Dang!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones