• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help hello all,need help

dontmatter

Lurker
Jul 31, 2013
hello all,I'm new to this board and I need some help,recently I installed mx player from the play store.My niece wanted my phone to watch a video so I let her borrow my phone...she ended up telling me that there was a popup that said 1 virus was detected and to scan and remove it,so she clicked the link and it took her to a website saying to download this to scan your phone,after that avast popped up and told her that the application that was trying to install was bad so she hit the option to delete,also I have the unknown sources application unchecked cause I don't download anything unless its from the app store.I didn't see any new apps or anything installed on my phone and nothing seemed to be messing up or glitching..also my phone is unrooted.I did a factory data reset just to be safe...so im wondering would a data reset get rid of anything if i had it? link.Ijust want to be sure nothing got on my phone...thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forums dontmatter. If anything is worth the money in the Play Store it's MX Player Pro. Go ahead and get the Pro version and you'll avoid the ads. Also talk to your niece about believing ads online and popups in apps. The great majority of the virus notification ads online are actually links to ransomware apps. I haven't actually heard of one that affects Android phones yet but it's still a good idea to let her know you can't believe everything you read online be it a popup, a text, an email or an ad.

Reactions: dontmatter
Upvote 0
thanks for the quick reply and the info from you both I appreciate it greatly,yeah I googled it and saw on another website someone else had the same thing happen to them but they didnt click on the link,since my niece did it had me worried but she was smart enough to click the delete button when avast asked if she wants too.Ive never rooted a phone or anything so I was hoping nothing bad happened.I was looking for ways to completely format my phone and such but that seems to only be done by rooting it :( but since I didnt see any apps or anything downloaded on the phone I was worried that it did something to the system files hence wanting to format it lol...thank you both again,im glad i signed up on here...alot of great info and help :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones