• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello, world!

simianninja

Apr 24, 2012
I joined a long time and have been lurking heartily, but it's time to step up the game because I screwed my phone. This is probably the reason for 90% of new members, right?

Just got my Galaxy S3 recently and have been experimenting a little too hard. :)

I'll just poop out my problem here to generate some feedback:

After an arduous, 16 hrs+ of work and many, many errors, I have restored my Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 to its nearly stock self (except rooted :D). I can make calls, wifi works great, but I _CANNOT_ get mobile data (3G, 4G, nothin'). I may have accidentally used a Sprint rom in there somewhere, but even after flashing the stock modem, rewriting APNs to VM ones, etc., there is simply no way to access mobile data.
About device --> Status --> Mobile network state = "Disconnected" permanently (my area normally has excellent signal)

However, when I hit "Activate Phone," the 3G icon does appear and start chugging, though only upstream I think - so SOMETHING still works.

Anyone run into something similar? Is this a problem with EFS or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to engaging with the community here.

Hi there, simianninja. Welcome, or welcome back!, to AF. :) I'm glad you've come out of lurker mode--there's so much to see and do around here.

I see you've already found and posted in the VM Galaxy S3 root board, and that you were able to solve your problem. Way to go!

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones