• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help after using Rom

saber85

Dec 23, 2010
I've been getting a lot of help from new optimus on this, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. I put three different roms on my phone last night to try and resolve this but it's a no go. My home button is not working, my lock button isn't working, and I can't move apps to the SD card without the phone crashing. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know how I can fix this? When the phone crashes I get a FC from MVPDM. I've tried the sense rom and two different team chick eaters roms.

I've been getting a lot of help from new optimus on this, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. I put three different roms on my phone last night to try and resolve this but it's a no go. My home button is not working, my lock button isn't working, and I can't move apps to the SD card without the phone crashing. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know how I can fix this? When the phone crashes I get a FC from MVPDM. I've tried the sense rom and two different team chick eaters roms.
did you do a nand backup where everything was working before? and also did you wipe everything including sd-ext? when i flash my roms i wipe everything and just start fresh on the sd card with a new partition. it works for me on my 2.2. other than that, i would check the setting on the phone, like if you had a widget locker app, check the settings in it. cause i've seen where you can make certain buttons not work with that app.

Upvote 0
I didn't do a nand backup because my phone wasn't working properly before and I didn't know I should. This was a way to try and get it working properly because I had uninstalled my browser. I didn't have any apps on the phone before that would lock the buttons.

If I wipe it what exactly am I going to lose?

Upvote 0
I didn't do a nand backup because my phone wasn't working properly before and I didn't know I should. This was a way to try and get it working properly because I had uninstalled my browser. I didn't have any apps on the phone before that would lock the buttons.

If I wipe it what exactly am I going to lose?
plug your phone into your computer and put all the stuff on your sdcard on your computer, so when you wipe everything you will be able to put it back on your sdcard. you won't lose your custom recovery. you will have to re-flash whatever rom you want to use. Make sure you partition your sdcard according to the rom ( some roms use ext 3 partition ) after you do that it should be ok.

Upvote 0
I got it. I restored the phone and when it went into recovery I put the rom on again. Works beautifully now :).

I think this is the end of me messing with my phone for a while!

Glad to hear that it works fine for you now. What ROM did you end up using? I was going to suggest that if any ROM's don't seem to be working, that it might be hardware issue. In my line of work (repairing RISC servers for IBM) if it's not a hardware issue, then it's a software or firmware code issue. But, you have a working phone now so that's a moot point. :)

Upvote 0
I got it. I restored the phone and when it went into recovery I put the rom on again. Works beautifully now :).

I think this is the end of me messing with my phone for a while!
that's wonderful!! make sure you do what New Optimus said and please make a backup. that's the easiest way to get things back right after something went wrong. And make a backup of your sdcard on your computer just in case your sdcard get messed up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones