• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP desire 0.93 can't boot/mount

markopo

May 21, 2013
Hello to all members, I am noob but since my desire was running out of internal space i wanted to do something. Read few root guides and I ve managed to root ands-off.

root - unrevoked 3,21
s-off - revolutionary

at this point I haven't flashed ROM, just stayed with htc sense

then I wanted to partition tried with

- Gparted (It created the partitions but in practice my internal memory was still low).

- Ext4 I tried with this but also no success (here troubles begin)
When entering into ext4 rec, i got error saying that some parts of SD are not accessible, and that i should FORMAT SYSTEM.

I did it and after that my phone doesn't boot any more. At this point I've done my second mistake, i went to a backup/restore and by mistake taped backup.

Now if I want to restore, i got message that SD card cant be mounted.

so

1. I can't boot, (HTC logo freezes at begging of booting)
2. SD card cant be mounted (restore ext4 not possible)
3. I tried to RUU but something wrong with USB (error 107).

I only can come into HBOT and ext4 recovery but here the story ends.
Phone is ROOTED and S-OFF
----------------------------------------------
HBOOT 0.93
baseband 32.49.00.32U_5.115.27
build V 2.29.405.14 CL345208
---------------------------------------------

I was trying to find answers already but could just find similar problems not exactly the same as mine. I would be very thankful if anyone of you geeks can put back to life my old but good desire :) hope it is not dead forever.

PS (sorry about English)

Oh dear, you've got a little ahead yourself but don't worry it's recoverable.

Firstly an ext partition won't work with your stock rom because it doesn't have the correct scripts. You'll need to flash a custom rom.

You can't boot because you formatted system so you have no ROM.

Please boot into the boot loader (vol down & back) and tell us exactly what it says on the screen.

Can you boot into recovery?

Reactions: markopo
Upvote 0
Thanks for reply, this is what I get if I hold VOL DOWN+BACK+POWER

-Revolutionary-
BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT 6.93.1002
ICROP-051d
TOUCHPANEL SYNW1010
RADIO-5.11.05.27
AUG 10 2010, 17:52:18

HBOOT

vol up - previous item
vol down - next item
power - select

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

I can enter to 4EXT recovery touch, but preparing boot ....................long time count.............and at the end error message "can't mount your sd". Than I get the menu from 4EXT

Upvote 0
Ok, the good news is you are indeed still s-off and the fact you can get into recovery is a bonus. It sounds like your sd card might be scrambled. Do you have another one handy?

Can you confirm that this is a gsm Desire? ie does it have a SIM card?

What I suggest is that you install Teppic74's stock rom via recovery. This is a stock htc sense gingerbread rom which will support apps2sd scripts.

Let me know about if you have another sd.

Upvote 0
Anyway leaping ahead:

Put your alternative sd into the phone. Boot into recovery & mount sd. plug into pc & copy this file onto the root of the card (not in any other folders):

http://www.brutzelstube.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/3.14.405.1-signed.zip

unmount sd & reboot recovery.

Wipe data (factory reset) from recovery.

Select install .zip from sd > choose zip & select the file above.

Reboot phone which might take 10 minutes.

Update me at this point.

Upvote 0
In that case put the micro sd into the reader & continue as before:

copy this file onto the root of the card (not in any other folders):

http://www.brutzelstube.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/3.14.405.1-signed.zip

Insert into phone & boot into recovery.

Wipe data (factory reset) from recovery.

Select install .zip from sd > choose zip & select the file above.

Reboot phone which might take 10 minutes.

Then boot into 4ext recovery & partition the card. I suggest 1gb ext3 partition, the rest Fat32, both should be primary partitions & swap = 0. (4ext will probably take care of all that for you.)

The ROM I recommend initially is this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1200261

To activate the apps2sd+ you will need to put this add on onto the sd & flash it like you did the ROM (without wipe) via recovery. You can read all about it in the above thread. Don't flash the radio because you have that one already.

Upvote 0
OK here I try with new SD, first i got this message, then I proceed,

The recovery hasn't been configured. Use 4EXT recovery control or the free app 4EXT Recovery Updater, which is available......Hint: check out recovery settings.

WIPE/WIPE DATE FACTORY RESET (wipe all user data? YES)....wiping complete

INSTALL FROM SD CARD/CHOOSE ZIP FROM SD CARD/3.14.405.1-signed.zip
...........about to install 3.14.405.1-signed.zip
.......... Continue install? YES

and here my installation is aborted I get this message:

Amend scripting (update script) is no longer supproted. Amend scripting was deprecated from Google in android 1.5. It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to ClockWordMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.

Please switch to Edify scripting (updater script and update binary)to create working update zip packages.

Installation aborted

Now what?

Upvote 0
Then boot into 4ext recovery & partition the card. I suggest 1gb ext3 partition, the rest Fat32, both should be primary partitions & swap = 0. (4ext will probably take care of all that for you.)

The ROM I recommend initially is this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1200261

To activate the apps2sd+ you will need to put this add on onto the sd & flash it like you did the ROM (without wipe) via recovery. You can read all about it in the above thread. Don't flash the radio because you have that one already.

1. Is this still valid after installing your second rom (the addon).
2. should I not choose the ext4 for internal memory? My card is 16 gb class 10

Upvote 0
The dGB Rom does NOT support apps to sd on ext partition. With a stock partition table (hboot) you will lose space because there's only 60mb on the 250mb system partition. I only suggested that Rom because if anything will boot it will be dGB. If you like dGB you'll like most AOSP ROMs.

There is a list of ROMs here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=809328
Mildwild's gingerbread AOSP ROMs are good & his oxygen & Redux2 versions activate apps2sd ext partition by default.

4ext normally does a good job of partitioning cards. I think your sd issue was probably caused by some kind of conflict with what Gparted had done. I suggest you use 4ext to add a 1gb ext 3 or 4 partition then flash a Mildwild Rom.

Take a full back up before flashing a new Rom.

Upvote 0
Done backup
Done 4ext partitions (partition1 = 1048, partition2=sikip, swap=skip)
Done flashing MildWild V-4.9 JG Based on Oxygen 2.3.2 HTC Desire GSM

Only problem I have now is that seems like I still haven't extended memory. If I go to SETTING/STORAGE I see 1 GB less of all available space, but still only 148 MB(same with diskusage) of internal memory.

Am I missing something?

EDIT I tried with ANDROID TERMINAL

"su"..........enter

grand su permission

"a2sd install"............enter

but i get answer

a2sd not found

Upvote 0
So your Rom is automatically moving apps to the ext partition. You don't need to move any to sd in the way you used to on the stock Rom, although that would work, 1gb should be plenty for apps.

Be advised that app data will still be saved to internal memory but that will take absolutely agrees to fill up.

Congratulations - mission accomplished:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones