• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help! Eris stuck in HTC Sense launcher

I posted this in another part of the forums, but I'm not getting much help. Any ideas?

Post #1:

So, I decided to do a factory reset on my old rooted Eris so that I could give it to my daughter's friend. After the reset, I booted the phone up and it forced me to go through the set up process (I just "skipped" everything) and when I was done, I couldn't do anything. The phone just kept force closing (The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I have tried numerous factory resets after that and it's not helping.

Post #2

Ok, so I was able to press the magnifying glass soft key numerous times and get the settings to come up. I cleared the data on HTC Sense, but it still was force closing. Then I cleared the defaults for HTC sense and used the "HOME" launcher instead of sense. Now I can use the phone, but I want to get Sense back. Any idea how?

I posted this in another part of the forums, but I'm not getting much help. Any ideas?

Post #1:

So, I decided to do a factory reset on my old rooted Eris so that I could give it to my daughter's friend. After the reset, I booted the phone up and it forced me to go through the set up process (I just "skipped" everything) and when I was done, I couldn't do anything. The phone just kept force closing (The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I have tried numerous factory resets after that and it's not helping.

Post #2

Ok, so I was able to press the magnifying glass soft key numerous times and get the settings to come up. I cleared the data on HTC Sense, but it still was force closing. Then I cleared the defaults for HTC sense and used the "HOME" launcher instead of sense. Now I can use the phone, but I want to get Sense back. Any idea how?

If you have Amon_RA recovery, I would start Recovery (usually, from a powered down state, hold VolUp while you start the phone until you see the Recovery menu; if this doesn't start recovery, start while holding VolDn to start the HBOOT screen and press VolUp when prompted to start Recovery). Go into the wipe menu. Wipe data/factory reset, and also Wipe Dalvik cache. Press VolDn to go back to the main menu and then restart the phone. I'd let your daughter set up the phone this time.

Upvote 0
On factory ROMs I have (numerous times!) performed factory resets, followed by skipping everything during the set up phase... and not encountered any problems with usability.

Even phone activation can be skipped (let it dial the activation call, and after the first ring, hang up; after the third time you do this, you can get past the phone activation step of the initial menus.

So, either something else is wrong with your phone, or it is a quirk of the ROM you have on the phone.

I would take bobcat331's advice - if the phone is still rooted, see if you can install the "FlashBack21 v2" ROM, or if you don't want to lose the custom recovery, flash the March2011 OTA ROM. (It is unrooted in the OS, but it doesn't replace the custom recovery the way the FlashBack ROMs do).

eu1

Upvote 0
On factory ROMs I have (numerous times!) performed factory resets, followed by skipping everything during the set up phase... and not encountered any problems with usability.

Even phone activation can be skipped (let it dial the activation call, and after the first ring, hang up; after the third time you do this, you can get past the phone activation step of the initial menus.

So, either something else is wrong with your phone, or it is a quirk of the ROM you have on the phone.

I would take bobcat331's advice - if the phone is still rooted, see if you can install the "FlashBack21 v2" ROM, or if you don't want to lose the custom recovery, flash the March2011 OTA ROM. (It is unrooted in the OS, but it doesn't replace the custom recovery the way the FlashBack ROMs do).

eu1

I don't have a ROM on the phone. I rooted it, but kept it stock. I just wanted to remove bloatware and have some apps for root only.

So, do you suggest actually putting a ROM on it now? Is there an sense APK that I can put on the phone to get Sense back?

Upvote 0
I don't have a ROM on the phone. I rooted it, but kept it stock. I just wanted to remove bloatware and have some apps for root only.

So, do you suggest actually putting a ROM on it now? Is there an sense APK that I can put on the phone to get Sense back?

You can flash xtrSENSE; with the exception of missing a few bloat apps, it's the same as stock, though overclocked and with more storage available for third party apps.

I have it on my dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/220420/Eris/xtrSENSE/xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip

I would wipe data/factory reset and wipe Dalvik first - though, like I said a few posts ago, you could try that with what you have now to see if it fixes things.

Upvote 0
Is there an sense APK that I can put on the phone to get Sense back?

Not exactly. Sense is a collection of .apk files plus modifications to the Java framework libraries. Unless we knew exactly what you removed from your phone, it's hard to know how to repair it. (Although it doesn't seem likely that you changed any of your framework .jar files)

If you want the "starting state" that you began with, flash the March 2011 OTA Reference ROM, and then overflash that with the "engtools3.zip" file (doogald might have this mirrored). That will give you pure stock + root, without any mods. It's not overclocked, though. If you want that, you'd have to find the Conap flashable kernel(s) (DecafuctCFSv9) - but it doesn't seem to be online any more.

Upvote 0
and then overflash that with the "engtools3.zip" file (doogald might have this mirrored).

It's in my dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/220420/Eris/engtools3.zip

MD5 is ba944bbb80c8e1290f237429b8130f83 if you check those.

If you want that, you'd have to find the Conap flashable kernel(s) (DecafuctCFSv9) - but it doesn't seem to be online any more.

I do have that as well, but I always had bad luck with the CFS kernel on stock Eris. Zanfur's kernel I think is better for that (but that is definitely in xtrSENSE). I believe that Zanfur's kernel files are here: Overclock Patch and update.zip - xda-developers

Upvote 0
You can flash xtrSENSE; with the exception of missing a few bloat apps, it's the same as stock, though overclocked and with more storage available for third party apps.

I have it on my dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/220420/Eris/xtrSENSE/xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip

I would wipe data/factory reset and wipe Dalvik first - though, like I said a few posts ago, you could try that with what you have now to see if it fixes things.

Thanks, I already did that...a FEW times! :rolleyes:

So, if I need help flashing a ROM, would any of you fine gentleman (I'm making the assumption that you are not ladies) be able to guide me on how to do that? Keep in mind that I may need my hand held quite a bit before you answer! :D

Upvote 0

So, if I need help flashing a ROM, would any of you fine gentleman (I'm making the assumption that you are not ladies) be able to guide me on how to do that? Keep in mind that I may need my hand held quite a bit before you answer! :D

Give it a go. We're here.;)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

Well, we've already mentioned where to download the xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip file that you'll need to flash. You need to copy that zip file - do not unzip the files first - to the microSD card on your Eris, assuming that you downloaded the file on your PC.

Then you can follow the instructions listed in this post: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html#post1186824 - when it comes time for the "Flash zip from sdcard", choose the xtrSENSE5.0.1.zip file and proceed with the instructions.

That should do it for you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones