1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

help for a handicapped person

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by resistance1982, Feb 20, 2011.

1. resistance1982

Hi. My name is Ismail and I'm a 29 year old man from Australia. I would like to first give you some background on my circumstances before I get to my issue so it will be easier for you to understand what I am talking about.

I was born with a physical disability called Spinal Muscular Atrophy which weakens the muscles in my body and severely limits the movement in my limbs. I have been interested in computers and technology since I was a child and I'm really into gaming and multimedia as well. I am able to get around with an electric wheelchair using a mini joystick which i control with my chin. I am also able to use a computer with the same mini joystick that I use to drive my wheelchair because it has bluetooth functionality built into it which allows me to move a mouse cursor around. I use 3 micro switches for clicking the mouse. These switches are connected to a modified usb mouse however I am in the process of having them directly connected to my wheelchair so that I can send mouse clicks through bluetooth as well. When I'm not sitting in my wheelchair, I use a custom usb joystick to move the mouse cursor around with the same micro switches that I use when sitting in my wheelchair. I have a video on youtube of me using my computer and describing how everything works. You can see it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZyGS2Pjd-o

I am interested in purchasing an Android phone and maybe a tablet as well however I first need to know if I can use a standard usb and bluetooth mouse to control the device. I need suggestions on what phone and tablet would be good for me.

I would like as much information as I can so I can make an informed decision when buying a new phone.

I just want to be able to use a mobile phone by myself just like everybody else.

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Welcome to AF!

I'm moving this post to the Android Lounge so that others can see it and chime in. :)

resistance1982 likes this.
  3. resistance1982

thanks, i wasn't sure where to post this :)

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Welcome to the Android Forums!

I'm sure someone in the lounge will be able to provide you feedback on this...

5. resistance1982

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Hello resistance1982. What a great use for Android devices. :)

I'm going to offer two suggestions via websites I've found that address remote usage of a device via mouse and keyboard, from different approaches (hopefully, some useful to you):

Android Screencast – Control Android Phone from PC | Sizzled Core

How to Remote View and Control Your Android Phone | WEBESTIGATE

I am not finished searching and will post back when I find more.

[edit] two more from another website:

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113583&top=0&productid=188409&trail=0

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113583&top=0&productid=188407&trail=0

7. resistance1982

thanks for the sites :) i'll check them out. what i need to know is what devices will work with a usb or mini usb mouse and bluetooth mouse. i mean directly, though remote access is also useful

8. Frisco

The charging cable which comes with Android devices is specialized at one end for the device, and USB at the other end.

I gather you want to control your Android phone by using a separate mouse with a USB or Bluetooth connection.. I am searching for such things, but having trouble finding exactly that.. hoping that we can come up with something or other that can be a starting point for you on this. ;)

9. resistance1982

while researching, i read somewhere that the device has to support usb host mode so basically any device that has this mode should work?

10. Frisco

Here's a site which addresses that:

USB Host mode on Motorola Droid

11. resistance1982

12. Frisco

We posted at the same instant, check post #10. ;)

As you can see, at this point it's a hack.

Still searching....

13. resistance1982

that could be an old article, it might be easier now?

14. Frisco

Yep, I saw those earlier..

..I do admit to having trouble finding a spot on solution for you, yet. I'm going to inquire at work tomorrow.

15. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

man.. i wish I had some good info for you. but it is great that some others that can.

16. resistance1982

17. Merlin1

Merlin1 Member

I am unusre about a phone but if you go by archos site some of there tablets can be used with a bluetooth keybord and mouse.

18. resistance1982

the archos 101 can handle everything, if only there was a phone like that

19. resistance1982

anymore ideas?

20. DerkGates

DerkGates Lurker

was a solution ever found for this? I'm in an almost identical situation.
    I have a HTC Evo 3D. I'm needing to connect a USB mouse and/or hub. The unusual part is that I will also like to be able to power the phone from an external source like a car cigarette lighter. I have Muscular Dystrophy with limited mobility and will be using a mouse to control the phone. My wheelchair has the ability to power additional devices through a cigarette lighter type jack.

I would gladly pay someone to make a custom cable. From all of the white papers and technical documents I read this should be possible.