• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me hard wire the car dock

mcurcio1989

Lurker
Mar 11, 2011
So I am a car buff and I hate having wires hanging everywhere when I drive. I had a car dock on my evo 4g and so I had to buy one for the 3d. I bought the one that sprint had at the store and I really like it. My car has a fused accessory wire that goes to the area around the rear view mirror which makes it real easy to wire a charger in up there so you have a short wire that comes down from around the mirror instead of a big one hanging across the radio and taking up your lighter plug.

The question is what will suffice for a charger. Looking at the one that I bought from sprint it says its a mini usb with a 5v and 2a out. Is there anything special about this or will any decent voltage protected 5v 2a charger do the job. I really want to find one that is set up for a hard wire so I don't have to cut into it. If anyone has one they can recommend me that would be awesome. I am not going to cut into the one i bought from sprint cause its to nice and i paid to much lol.

The guy at the store gave me this speech about cheap chargers overcharging and yada yada i think that is a crock of chit but I dunno. My guess is cheap chargers don't protect against voltage surge and have low amperage.

I would actually recommend a slower charge rate than that. 2A at 5V will put you charging your 3.6V battery at almost a 2C rate! This can degrade your battery performance fairly quickly, but on the other hand will charge the battery faster. The spiel about cheap chargers overcharging... well... it has to do with exactly that problem... the phone will prevent the battery from truly overcharging, but it will certainly allow it to charge much faster than the optimal charge rates.

Any usb-filtered charger will do though. USB has a fairly regulated voltage, so just any old dc-dc transformer might not be up to the task. I have this one hardwired into my car for the 3D, works great: Amazon.com: Motorola SPN5400 Rapid Vehicle Power Adapter for Motorola Droid A855: Cell Phones & Accessories

$5, and can be broken apart with ease, nice strong leads from the converter board inside to hook onto.

Upvote 0
I'm using one of the dual port USB chargers made by Griffin. They are really small as they will sit flush in your power port.

Griffen USB Car Charger
5024426466_f809037d47.jpg

Here is what I would do
1) Cut the plastic case apart and find the +/- and solder power leads
2) Hot glue as needed
3) Heat shrink to hold everything together
4) Plug in USB cable of your choice

Then this would give you two USB port above your mirror for other accessories and if you need to hook up something else down the road it would be simple.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones